::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my dad died years ago, I described it as having my mooring lines cut. I felt like I was suddenly adrift at sea.

That's what I felt like when my dad died (24 years now). I still think of him every day - good stuff, happy thoughts. He was a great man.

My mom is drifting away little by little as dementia takes her away. She is not going peacefully - she is confused, scared, angry, desperate. We're doing all we can to give her peace, but it isn't helping much. Dementia sucks.

Moms been gone 16 years, Dad 5. It still hurts bad. My eyes leak even just typing that. I’m not sure if it will ever get easier, it doesn’t feel like it. I’ve started to resent living in the town they raised us in. There is nothing holding me here anymore, why am I still here?
My siblings and I have become so much closer since losing both of them, that’s the only good thing. But we all hate being orphans.

Last edited:
Story is that the donkeys were used by the coffee plantations, then turned loose. They became a nuisance species. For the last several years the authorities been herding and gelding and adopting them out.

Goats and cats are similar problems on Bog Island.

Moms been gone 16 years, Dad 5. It still hurts bad. My eye leak even just typing that. I’m not sure if it will ever get easier, it doesn’t feel like it. I’ve started to resent living in the town they raised us in. There is nothing holding me here anymore, why am I still here?
My siblings and I have become so much closer since losing both of them, that’s the only good thing. But we all hate being orphans.

My dad's been gone for 45 years, and although it's sad to say, I don't miss him. Long story.

My mom's been gone 17 years, and I still miss the woman she was, originally. I do not miss the alcohol-addled, dementia victim she ultimately became, but I sure miss the mother she once was....

Story is that the donkeys were used by the coffee plantations, then turned loose. They became a nuisance species. For the last several years the authorities been herding and gelding and adopting them out.

I have long been a fan of donkeys. I have no idea why, but they just appeal to me. I've often thought that if I had the right property, I would want one as a pet. That will never happen now, but it would have been cool....

I have long been a fan of donkeys. I have no idea why, but they just appeal to me. I've often thought that if I had the right property, I would want one as a pet. That will never happen now, but it would have been cool....

That made me think of a question. I've never had to care for a donkey, and wonder if they are typically shod, like a horse?

The roof of the NAPA store leaks pretty badly. The owner knows about it, and has done nothing to remedy the problem.

We are trying to catch the incoming rainwater in 5 gallon buckets, and emptying them as needed. But, if the rain keeps up like it is now, the buckets will fill up and over-flow overnight.

Maybe the owner will come over in the morning to mop up the mess?

Amazing how cavalier the haoles were with such a fragile isolated ecosystem.
Like the rats coming in on cargo ships, started eating sugar cane, so they introduce Mongoose to eat the rats, the Mongoose could care less about the rats and ate all the bird eggs, since many species of native birds nested on the ground, because they had no predators.
Mongoose and rats both still here, but many of those beautiful little birds are gone.

The flooding on Kauai was nuts.
So much devastation.
Those photos of the bison standing on the little sandbar were odd.
I saw photos of some of the rivers and waterfalls just raging brown, crazy.
I have been to Kauai where it poured rain for 10 days straight (our honeymoon) but it was not like that.

I cleaned out my rain gutters yesterday. There was so much muck plants were growing in a couple spots.

Over here on the Westside the sky is grey and the ground is bright green everywhere.

Chuck Moore says they got a foot of rain last night, and that Kauai had 27" of rain in 24 hours.

There was some flooding over on the Windward side but where I am it was just rainy.

It's funny, when we go to Canoe Hut either before the band starts or when there is no band I like to sing karaoke. They have a lot of traditional Hawaiian music but also regular songs.
I always ask Nanilei for suggestions because she is good at reading the mood of the room and suggesting songs that fit my voice that I would never think of.
Unfortunately she gets irritated when I ask her and usually just says figure it out yourself, or just "no" when I suggest something.

Anyway last time she came through with a brilliant suggestion, I Saw the Light by Todd Rundgren, and she was right, great song, fit my voice well, EXACTLY the reason I ask her.
I have learned all the chords by heart, sounds pretty good on ukulele too (Can't do the slide part though. Yet :D ). I have the first half of the lyrics down as well.

Well just a few more work days then four days of PTO, so a six day mini staycation starts Wednesday afternoon.
BIL.and SIL strive from Maui, along with another family friend and his new wife, Nanilei and I have never met the new wife, should be interesting.
Looking forward to staying on the North Shore, and hopefully going on the boat ( if the weather cooperates).

This client keeps calling me for support, but the issue is with QuickBooks. I tell him that he needs to call QuickBooks support, he is paying for QuickBooks support, but he doesn't get it...

Hahaha he just called back (third call this morning) with QuickBooks support on the line too.
The sad part is I actually had to tell QuickBooks support how to fix the issue.
Ok, I get why he calls me now.

Amazing how cavalier the haoles were with such a fragile isolated ecosystem.
Like the rats coming in on cargo ships, started eating sugar cane, so they introduce Mongoose to eat the rats, the Mongoose could care less about the rats and ate all the bird eggs, since many species of native birds nested on the ground, because they had no predators.
Mongoose and rats both still here, but many of those beautiful little birds are gone.

That happens anywhere humans have moved in, not just haoles and Hawaii. Look at Catalina island and the bison.

For those of you that don’t know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.

That happens anywhere humans have moved in, not just haoles and Hawaii. Look at Catalina island and the bison.

For those of you that don’t know Santa Catalina Island is a small island 26 miles off the Southern California coast. It has two small towns on it and is a vacation spot. Back in the early movie making days they filmed westerns there. They imported bison (and other animals) and just left them there. It became a problem when they started breeding. When the Island Conservancy was created they struck up a deal with Yellowstone and now cycle them in and out. They have become part of the ecosystem but in a controlled way.

Yup, pretty much every corner of the world has a story of idiots who introduced a new species and caused huge problems. I recently saw a video about how raccoons are destroying all the ancient wooden temples in Japan.

The rain is letting up, although the roof is still leaking steadily.

I may not need to start building that ark, after all....

Yeah, I know, I just doubt it would have been an issue on pre-contact Hawaii. That's what I meant.

It was also a different time.
When the missionaries and the Europeans (and Americans) came to Hawaii they thought of the natives as 'savages' in spite of the fact that they were skilled navigators (without instruments) and had a rich cultural heritage but as they had no written language it was assumed they were savages.

As the missionaries taught the natives to read and write, the Kingdom of Hawaii had the highest rate of literacy among its populace, and `Iolani Palace had electric lights and flush toilets before the White House did.
Fact. You can look it up if you like.
Yeah, real savages.
Stupid haoles. :D

Lots of times I feel ashamed of my people. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom