Nylon strings for narrow fretboard

UkingViking

Reaction score
So, my old guitar is a relatively small version of a classical guitar, and has a narrow fretboard. It is probably from the 60's, my grandma picked it up on a flea marked way back.
I am not sure if it came with nylon or some kind of steel strings to begin with - but it looks classical and has had nylon strings for as long as I have known.

I never thought of it before I tried ukulele, but now when I pick it up, the movement of the strings when played annoys me. With my clumsy fingers they vibrate so much that they hit my left hand fingers and buzz.

Is there a special brand of nylon strings that move less when they vibrate? Any recommendations?

(Besides getting a guitar with a wider neck)

Sounds like some higher tension strings might solve your problem? If the strings are a bit flabby and vibrating wildly then higher tension ones would be tighter and do that less. You could try tuning the existing strings up a step and see if that helps as then you'll know if it's a string tension issue.

It might just be that the strings on it are pretty old. Not in playtime, I rarely play, but in storage time.
Still, I will try some higher tension strings in stead of using just the same kind.
I assume that as long as they are nylon strings, the neck should be fine?
And are there any brands to prefer? I consider trying Aquila strings for guitars.

A reason I am not sure what strings it was originally intended for is that I saw a similar one one eBay strung with some kind of steel strings. But I prefer nylon. I don't play enough to get the skin on my fingers for steel.

A reason I am not sure what strings it was originally intended for is that I saw a similar one one eBay strung with some kind of steel strings. But I prefer nylon. I don't play enough to get the skin on my fingers for steel.

If it is a steel strung guitar nylon strings aren't going to work well on it. Could you post a picture?

I will post a picture tonight when I have some home PC time.

It just dawned on me that since my guitar has a narrow neck, perhaps it also has a slightly shorter scale than some. It looks small ish without looking miniature.
I will measure the scale tonight.

It looks kind of similar to this "jugend/wander" (youth/travel) model, though I am not sure it is exactly the same:
http//www.vintagehofner.co.uk/flattop/jugend/512ii.htm

I just read on the same web page that Hofner put steel strings on their classical guitars back then, because they didn't have any nylon available. That would explain the "original steel strings" on a similar one on E-bay. But this picture looks the most like mine and says nylon.

Last edited:
Didn't find time to post a recent photo, but I think that the 50 year old catalogue does it justice.
I measured the scale.
It is 625mm, where a standard classical is 650 mm - some even 660 mm.
Thus it makes perfect sense that the tension in the strings will be a bit lower than on a 650 mm guitar.
So I will get some high tension strings, and hope they will have normal tension on this guitar.
Thanks for the input!

It looks kind of similar to this "jugend/wander" (youth/travel) model, though I am not sure it is exactly the same:
http://http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/flattop/jugend/512ii.htm

I just read on the same web page that Hofner put steel strings on their classical guitars back then, because they didn't have any nylon available. That would explain the "original steel strings" on a similar one on E-bay. But this picture looks the most like mine and says nylon.

This link doesn't work for me but glad you're getting it sorted!

Higher tension nylon strings will probably help Mikkel. Some manufacturers like Suarez also make Fluorocarbon strings for classical guitar and they are usually a bit smaller in diameter and seem to have high tension as well. I've seen Aquila makes a set of Reds for guitar as well.

D'Addario Carbons (Fluorocarbon) come in two gauges: normal and hard. The normals are pretty dad burn stiff (.024" 1st string) on my 664mm Ramirez but should feel a little looser on a short scale classical. Oddly I love fluorocarbon on my 'ukuleles but prefer the sweeter tone and vibrato response of nylon on my classical guitars.

But, yeah, most classical strings are sold in 2 to 4 gauges from light to heavy so no problem buying heavier strings.

Top Bottom