Hawaii trip buying advice

Fire lantern

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm traveling to Hawaii for a few days in a couple months and would really like to buy a uke when I'm there. I'll be in Honolulu and will realistically only be able to go to a couple places given limited time and little kids and no car.

In my ideal world, I'd like to purchase a factory second direct from the factory and would love to get a koa uke.

My only plan right now is to go to KoAloha, as I've heard you can do that there. My budget is around $500-600.

Any thoughts or advice!? Thanks in advance!

Matt

Hi Matt

I have been on Maui for 4 weeks looking at different ukes. Prepare to be amazed and overwhelmed. I have not been to Honolulu but I would guess there will be even more choices there.
I arrived here with Kamaka at the top of my list but there weren't many around. Pretty much sold out.
Try to keep an open mind for other brands. Each is slightly different and different to play. Even 3 or 4 koa ukes of the same brand can be noticeably different. Gradually, if you go to enough places and play enough instruments you will know what appeals to you more.
I also suggest you start following Craig's List for Honolulu. You might get lucky there with a good one

Enjoy.
John

Craigslist is a great idea. I'm a bit stuck with having quite limited time and traveling with family, so I won't have much of a chance to go to lots of stores - as much as I'd love to! Craigslist is a great idea though, I wonder if there are any good options for used ukes, I'm more than happy to buy used.

Not sure where the other K's are at, price-wise, but I don't know if $600 will even get you in the door these days. A Kamaka HF-1 soprano is over a grand.

A better bet would probably to try and get up to Haleiwa to Hawai'i Music Supply. That way you could see everything in one spot and look at options closer to your price range. It's on the other side of the island, but from what I've heard (even my dad, who doesn't play, stopped by to check it out!), it's quite worth the effort.

Not sure where the other K's are at, price-wise, but I don't know if $600 will even get you in the door these days. A Kamaka HF-1 soprano is over a grand.

A better bet would probably to try and get up to Haleiwa to Hawai'i Music Supply. That way you could see everything in one spot and look at options closer to your price range. It's on the other side of the island, but from what I've heard (even my dad, who doesn't play, stopped by to check it out!), it's quite worth the effort.

^^ This. HMS picks the best specific ukes from the K brands and then puts them through their setup process. As Brad also mentions, K brands are above your price target. But you can absolutely find a nice uke at HMS in that price range.

^^ This. HMS picks the best specific ukes from the K brands and then puts them through their setup process. As Brad also mentions, K brands are above your price target. But you can absolutely find a nice uke at HMS in that price range.

Thanks to both of you. Yeah, it's a bit low and I figure I have to go up a bit, but KoAloha from HMS are under 1k, so I was hoping with a factory second I might be able to get my hands on one. Or used of course.

Hmmm....perhaps we'll have to see about catching a bus up to the North Shore, going to HMS would be fantastic.

Last edited:
You are doing exactly the same thing I did but 3 years later. You will soon learn that the shops on Waikiki are all tourist trap. They sell Kala and other made in China brand.

The shop inside Sheraton Hotel name Ukulele Pua Pua has some nice Ko'olau and Kanilie'a. (don't count on seeing Kamaka). The price starts from $750 even 3 years ago. No set-up but you may be OK without the proper set-up as these ukes are well built. They also host uke lesson. If you are lucky you may be able to sit in on Jake's Brother Bruce lesson. I believe it's free lessons.

HMS is 45 minutes drive from Waikiki to North Shore. You are better off ordering before you leave home so that it is ready for pick up because set up is 1/2 hour drive from the shop and they can't do it the same day you purchase the uke which mean you need to drive back again.

Another uke shop is located in the Hyatt call Ukulele House. The lady is very nice there. You may get lucky with the K Brand but Pua Pua has more.

Bob's ukulele located on the second floor of Royal Hawaii Centre has some K brands . I found the asking price is a lot more than Pua Pua.

The three I mentioned are walking distance on Waikiki . HMS is the only one you need a car. Hope this help!

Last edited:
This is super helpful, thank you so much Brenda!

You are doing exactly the same thing I did but 3 years later. You will soon learn that the shops on Waikiki are all tourist trap. They sell Kala and other made in China brand.

The shop inside Sheraton Hotel name Ukulele Pua Pua has some nice Ko'olau and Kanilie'a. (don't count on seeing Kamaka). The price starts from $750 even 3 years ago. No set-up but you may be OK without the proper set-up as these ukes are well built. They also host uke lesson. If you are lucky you may be able to sit in on Jake's Brother Bruce lesson. I believe it's free lessons.

HMS is 45 minutes drive from Waikiki to North Shore. You are better off ordering before you leave home so that it is ready for pick up because set up is 1/2 hour drive from the shop and they can't do it the same day you purchase the uke which mean you need to drive back again.

Another uke shop is located in the Hyatt call Ukulele House. The lady is very nice there. You may get lucky with the K Brand but Pua Pua has more.

Bob's ukulele located on the second floor of Royal Hawaii Centre has some K brands . I found the asking price is a lot more than Pua Pua.

The three I mentioned are walking distance on Waikiki . HMS is the only one you need a car. Hope this help!

HMS is worth the drive. Their selection is excellent and their prices are fair. They're also the most knowledgeable people you would meet, nice guys as well.

Sounds like I also need to start saving more to afford this. Sure no one wants to buy my David Gill...still for sale :) I figured I was on the low end, but was hoping used or factory second would make it possible. guess not.

Good suggestions from Brad, Eddie, and Brenda. If you can't get to HMS though, The Ukulele Store, 226 Lewers St., Suite 218, had the best selection of ukuleles in Waikiki. They are extremely helpful, and have a free class in the afternoon. The owner and manager used to work for Pua Pua.

Good suggestions from Brad, Eddie, and Brenda. If you can't get to HMS though, The Ukulele Store, 226 Lewers St., Suite 218, had the best selection of ukuleles in Waikiki. They are extremely helpful, and have a free class in the afternoon. The owner and manager used to work for Pua Pua.

perfect! Thanks so much.

Lot's of good advice here. KoAloha does have a factory seconds wall, and what's there on any given day is hit or miss (whehn I went there a few years back, for example, they didn't have any tenor ukuleles). And Hawaiian Music Supply, which is now called The Ukulele Site both online and in brick and mortar, is the best place on Oahu for you to check out alternates to out-of -your-price-range K brands. Another option is Dan's Guitars, which is at 2000 S. Beretania St. Unit B, in Honolulu. When I was there a few years ago, Dan's had nice selection of ukuleles, including some used ukuleles (your mileage may vary) that could get you a brand you want in your price range. Have fun!

Thanks so much for this. I really want to go to KoAloha just to check it all out. They seem like a great group of people (I follow them on Instagram) and I've wanted one of their ukes for years. It's tough, there's something cool about the idea of buying in Hawaii, but at the same time, the used marketplace here is awesome and probably more practical.... Ah, we'll see, but no matter what I'll check out some of these suggestions for the experience and fit in what I can in the short time I have there.

One more place to visit is Goodguys Music on Kapahulu. I haven't been in some years and from what I hear the area has changed a bit, but since it's out of the traditional "tourist" neighborhood prices were a bit lower than the Waikiki shops last time I went. And you never know what you'll find there, as I believe they sell both new and used. And while you're at it, you can pick up a souvenir shirt at Bailey's Aloha Shirts down the block - a real cool place for browsing for souvenirs that are a bit more interesting than the more common mass-produced Waikiki options.

Also - anybody know if the Aloha Bowl swap meet is still worthwhile for ukes? That might be another possibility for the OP to check out.

Also - anybody know if the Aloha Bowl swap meet is still worthwhile for ukes? That might be another possibility for the OP to check out.

A member of our uke group went to a swap meet while he was in Hawaii several months ago, and brought back a Kamaka white label soprano and a Lanakaii slot head tenor with a pickup. He seemed to think the price was good.

By the way I just found my old photo to share with you. This is the Ukulele Pua Pua at the Sheraton Hotel and their free lessons. The row of ukes on the left to the photo are all Ko'aloha and Kanilie'a if memory serves me right.

Kamaka factory is the closest to Waikiki in comparison to Ko'Aloha and Kanilie'a . You may be able to take public transportation there.

25710863738_ef079e43af_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_8820 by Brenda Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

I found what I wanted my first day on the big Island by returning to someone I had dealt with two years before. I am very pleased. I am now on Kauai and hope to visit Scotty's before heading home to Vermont. The latter not for a purchase but to see who he is and maybe set up a relationship for the future. That is what worked on the big Island - having a relationship. I have consistently purchased used instruments as I prefer them overall. They also have better prices.
As was suggested above - avoid the tourist traps.

This is just outstanding!

By the way I just found my old photo to share with you. This is the Ukulele Pua Pua at the Sheraton Hotel and their free lessons. The row of ukes on the left to the photo are all Ko'aloha and Kanilie'a if memory serves me right.

Kamaka factory is the closest to Waikiki in comparison to Ko'Aloha and Kanilie'a . You may be able to take public transportation there.

25710863738_ef079e43af_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_8820 by Brenda Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Kamaka factory is a fun place to visit and the tour is a blast, but Kamaka doesn't offer factory seconds and doesn't usually have instruments for sale, although you can order one while you're there.

Top Bottom