OTG: Hooking a mic up to your smartphone

I wondered about the whole data thing... you can't just use a smartphone as a pocket-sized mini wifi tablet? I've got a bunch of old pocket digital cameras, but am not too impressed with the video on them, and they only take 2GB SD cards, which cost a fortune nowadays compared with the higher capacity ones. They are also a bit clunky by today's standards. I was thinking a smartphone with a bunch of onboard memory would be nicer, more portable, and make better video.... if it could work without any obligations attached, of course.

bratsche

Yes, as long as you have wifi you can use a phone without a SIM card

Nice one. I have an Android phone and already have an OTG, i just need to find a decent mike! BTW Rob, the little hole at the top of your phone is a reset button. I had that phone previously.

The link in my signature below will take you to a page that has links to several previous UU discussions on microphones and recording for both mobile and desktop platforms.

SURPRISE! - yes, this has been discussed before. :)

Maybe that info will help guide you thru the minefield of choices and help you get something that works well for you.

I reckon half of an old set of ear phones, wired to a USB would work

Actually, most earphones have an impedance that is less than 50 ohms, and because of this you will have an impedance mismatch, which you would need a preamp to boost the gain, and even so, you would still have very weak volume as most preamps max out at about 85 db (decibels) of boost, and even at that much gain, you are going to hear lots of self-noise from the electronics that will manifest as 'hiss' and/or 'pop' noise.

Tried this myself a few times. If headphones are the best you can afford, the Apple Earpods ($29 from Apple) (not the wireless ones, but the wired ones) which use a MEMS mic element (as opposed to a traditional mini electret mic element), which is actually pretty good for both voice and music, but mic placement is a huge factor in getting proper sounds without distortion and without sounding thin and/or tinny. You would use the standard headset port on your device provided that it has a TRRS plug for both mic and headphones input. headphones only have TRS input and lack the ability to signal the device inside the 3.5mm jack because unless it is a TRRS plug, the TRS plug will short a connection which tells the device that there is NO mic attached to that plug.

This is an official EIA standard connection now in 2017 as both Android & iOS devices, and most Apple computer computers that have a single 'combo' audio jack will all conform to this wiring scheme in the audio plug and headset devices.

FYI: most dynamic microphones have an impedance between 200 ohms (ribbon mics and cheap dynamic mics) and 600 ohms (Shure SM-57/58, Electro-Voice N/D767a, AKG C400, Shure SM-1, Blue Encore, etc) and piezo pickups have impedance in the range of 1M ohms (1 million) and also need a preamp to correct the impedance mismatch the other way.

Lots of these issues are discussed in the threads found via the link in my signature below, whereby I've given as much technical detail as I can based upon personal experience working a second job, at different times as a DJ/sound engineer as well as in the recording studio in various roles.

So where about would be the input impedance of my phone?

shrug_1f937.png

Love the idea of the ZoomQ2n, since I've been using my trusty H2 as a USB mic with my computers for recording and Skyping for years. This one seems about the same size as the H2. Amazing! However, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I wish that option had been around back when I was using a small Toshiba stereo cassette recorder (no reasonable video available in those days, alas...!) I think that tiny screen would be impossible to read nowadays without putting on my closeup magnifiers!

But this is a good, informative thread, and it's great to know there are different options available. Some day I'll get something suitable for my present requirements.

bratsche

What i mean is do i need a high or low impedance mike?

If you want a cheap mic to just plug in to the headset port and be able to monitor your recordings, you want one of these (all discussed previously here on UU at some length):

iRig Acoustic Mic: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacoustic/

iRig Lav Mic: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiclav/

OTOH, if you want to go into Android via OTG, or iOS via the Camera-Connection-Kit USB adapter, you can use this one which is MUCH better than the original iRig Acoustic Mic on account of the included preamp:

iRig Acoustic Stage: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/

I have both the iRig Acoustic Mic, and the iRig Acoustic Stage system, and have written about them extensively and previously, and those threads can be found by searching the forum for 'irig' (without quotes). I'll not be re-typing those tomes of text again, but you can find them by searching UU.

I've also written about lots of other gear used for recording, mics and such which can be found via the link in my signature BELOW, which some folks seem to resist reading with a violent passion.

It's 2 clicks away for MANY answers to questions that are frequently asked, so I do not understand the resistance I've been seeing in many threads over the past 4 months or so.

Good Luck! :)

Hmm might have to look into prices for the iRig. I'm skint at the moment mind...

Top Bottom