Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Sorry this all has happened, again.

As songwriters ourselves here, many of us can try to appreciate the concerns one might have IF the artist chose NOT to give away their work and wanted to monetize it everywhere, especially if burned in the past by the RIAA and/or record companies with a bad contract for the artist.

I dont bother to monetize my videos at all.

In fact, all of them are unlisted, which means they can only be found either via a direct link that has been previously shared, and such link may exist in that Season's playlist, on the UU thread, OR on my "UUSOTU" playlist on my channel, but NOT as individual videos.

The only time I got a Copyright take-down notice from YT was on a video made 'public', that included the actual recording of a song called 'The Snow That Melts' from Sting's album 'On A Winter's Night', and according to Geoff, this song is actually in the public domain and had I done a cover and performed it myself, it would not have gotten the hithers activated on the sound-detection algorithms in place and being watched by Sting's record label, and aside from the notice from YT, they also silenced the video, so I deleted it, changed the music to some generic royalty-free music and re-uploaded it, but even so, also unlisted.

Sure I could have learned and performed the song myself for this video, but it was a 30 second montage of the outside of my house the morning after nearly 30" of snow fall, and it was a quick thing to share and get out, and the HOURS needed to perform my own soundtrack would have been way overkill.

So lesson learned for me was not to use the RECORDING of someone else's performance for my videos.

If YT gets more aggressive in stomping on covers, and looking inside the UNLISTED videos, then maybe I and others will be notified, and/or have the videos silenced, but this flies in the face of 'fair use' and 'educational purposes' and will likely engender an uprising against YT, since at least half of it is folks doing cover tunes, and maybe 25% is silly pet videos, and then all the rest of random stuff.

Don't know if I'm in a minority here but if I want to watch a music vid and its littered with ads and stuff aimed at marketing then I quite often press the stop button and don't bother watching it and just find another version where its solely about the music.

Last edited:
eh. who gives a ****.
click on something you REALLY WANT TO WATCH?
there's always a short ad...
turn around. look at the clouds or the sun outside,
take a deep breath
and continue, right.
and enjoy the music.
I think I might monetize my channel too,
just to alienate the 8 people who watch my clips.
and make money doing so.
Hello goldmine.

eh. who gives a ****.
click on something you REALLY WANT TO WATCH?
there's always a short ad...
turn around. look at the clouds or the sun outside,
take a deep breath
and continue, right.
and enjoy the music.
I think I might monetize my channel too,
just to alienate the 8 people who watch my clips.
and make money doing so.
Hello goldmine.

Well, I'm one of the 8 people, Jon .... and I simply CANNOT afford to pay! (Oh, wait, I don't have to, do I ... someone else pays. I have no idea how this works!)

Well, I'm one of the 8 people, Jon .... and I simply CANNOT afford to pay! (Oh, wait, I don't have to, do I ... someone else pays. I have no idea how this works!)

it's youtube.
it is what it is.
and it's free.
um, hang on, wait a sec there...

ok it's a moneymaking exercise for some ****er.
not us.
not even for those of us who monetise their species.
even still, if it didn't exist in the form it does
I would have had zero outlet for the poems
and songs and coversongs I play.
eh. I stand grateful. that's it.

it's youtube.
it is what it is.
and it's free.
um, hang on, wait a sec there...

ok it's a moneymaking exercise for some ****er.
not us.
not even for those of us who monetise their species.
even still, if it didn't exist in the form it does
I would have had zero outlet for the poems
and songs and coversongs I play.
eh. I stand grateful. that's it.

Yes, it's free so the likes of me can make a complete idiot of herself! Gratitude required here! (Wait a moment, did you just use THAT word that always comes to mind when I think of "bankers"? Disgraceful!)

There are people quite willing to to do a cover 1 of someone else's song and then monetise it, so they make money off it, even here among the seasonistas.
That makes it 2 hard for those of us who do covers just for our own enjoyment and to satisfy the host requirements each week here.
I'm here to 3 share and enjoy music and certainly not to try and make any money from doing so.
I'm sure that's why you're here too Alan.
But it's not hard to see why some people get quite serious about the ownership of their body of work.

1 Consider this: Adele covers Bob Dylans "Make you feel my love" or the countless
covers of Leonand Cohen's "Hallelujah" You seem to be suggesting that it is reprehensible
to cover someones song and make money off it. You seem to be suggesting that it is somehow
morally superior to cover a song and do it for just the love of it, and if anybody makes money off
a cover song then it is almost a criminal act. I don't agree. We just might as well chastise
Ukulele Underground for they also monetise their videos and tutorials and covers on youtube.

2 I find it hard to understand this statement. Are you saying that if you have the knowledge that
someone is monetising their videos then it throws you off your stride. Surely not if you are all in it for
the love of the music and the joy of playing and sharing. What you are doing here is demonising
the folks who do monetise their videos, and making them into an unworthy class.

For your information I have learnt a few things about the adpocalyse going on at youtube that
I would never have been privy to had not monitised my videos. The two Billy Bragg videos
I uploaded for this season are deemed to be Not advertisers friendly (though I have appealed this)
So if you cover songs that youtube thinks is not politically correct you don't make a dime off them.
Not so important for me, but if the same stance is taken with the original artist then that is a loss
of revenue for them. And given your own political stance on many topics, you might think it unfortunate
that Billy does not make any money from his political songs on Youtube.
Perhaps it is OK for some folks to make money on Youtube but not others?

3You seem to be suggesting that a persons motives are more pure
and thus more acceptable if you do not monetise their videos. Primarily I make videos to keep my mind active
and I enjoy making music to keep some sort of creativity in my life. The few pennies I make from monetisation
are irrelevant. It is pocket money. I bought an Eken Sports camera with the last payout I got from Youtube.
and often any extra cash I make goes as a loan to KIVA to finance projects in developing countries.

Last edited:
Yes, it's free so the likes of me can make a complete idiot of herself! Gratitude required here! (Wait a moment, did you just use THAT word that always comes to mind when I think of "bankers"? Disgraceful!)

Bankers?
one of my favourite songwriters wrote sumpin bout dem.

Gosh .... can't possibly "quote" all that, Rob! It's obviously an issue about which you feel very strongly. I agree with Jon, I DO find adverts irritating, but if you want to watch the video, then just take a few moments out to do something else till the adverts have finished.

I think well said by both brothers I love.
Brian and Rob.
Not sure we really have a disagreement here.
We're all communists after all.

I agree with Jon, I DO find adverts irritating, but if you want to watch the video, then just take a few moments out to do something else till the adverts have finished.
No point in watching one with ads when I can watch another without (I'm not a patient man) ........ Stalin soup on special offer !! Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom