SOTU 285 Lightnin' Roun'!

To heck with it....Thornton Rooooool is Cooool......Engaged.....sorry about the scruffy T shirt......

Stanley (stanat20) already submitted a fine cover of "Morning Has Broken", but here is my instrumental version, based on uke tabs by R. J. Putter and Helmut Bickel. Extra percussions and ambient noise by my neighbors, who are renovating. :)

There will be some weirdness this Season, Alan's opening line, here's my contribution. I've done this one before but not for the seasons, last one from me, upcoming trip to France to prepare for.

Sadly my plans to do some R.E.M. got curtailed by a relatively busy week. Thankfully Alan asked for some Louis!

This is the first song I ever learnt on uke so I thought it right to bring the Dolphin out. I normally sing another verse to give it a proper crescendo but thought I'd stick to Satchmo's version.

Last edited:
And here's another. A little backstory.

Stalwarts of the open Mic I go to are a duo called the 2 Chiefs. Couple of old timers, one plays ridiculously smooth guitar while singing, the other's a devil on the harmonica. Proper crowd pleases so they'll normally close the night, and normally they'll end their set with this song and when you're a few pints in at the end of a night of music, it's sheer perfection. Obviously I knew it was a cover but I had no knowledge of this song beyond the Chiefs. Until tonight.

Off I stroll to YouTube to find a Louis Armstrong song that isn't Wonderful World, and what should I find but a song called Summertime, which was a duet with Ella Fitzgerald. I wondered if it was that Summertime, and it only took a few notes to confirm. Listened all the way through, thought, bloody hell what a gorgeous track, and went straight to learning it, didn't even bother exploring the origins more. For all I know that version could be the version and I'm telling you all about a new invention called the wheel. Someone educate me. Please.

Anyway. This is for Keith and Keith. The 2 Chiefs. Next time I see them I'm gonna ask them if I can play it with them.

I'll admit it - I still haven't listened to any of the guidelines for this week. But if the Thornton Rules don't apply this week, when would they?

So here is another one take try. I got a new instrument that is somewhat ukulele like (a Seagull Merlin), made by a company that makes great ukes (Godin), and it does have 4 strings. I say that counts.

And it seems to fit this song particularly well, and I have really been feeling like doing this number these days. Oh, and it's by the Beatles, who were pretty good. So I hope you like it.

This season has really gotten me out of my comfort zone! I had to learn a new note, and bar chords can be tricky for me.

Let me tell you about this song and why I chose it. It is one of my favorite swing and jazz songs. I love just about every version I have heard of it, from Dorsey to Trombone Shorty. Apparently even Louis Armstrong sang it. Lastly is was played at Burl Walter Jr.'s memorial service.

Old Man Burl and I shared the same birthday. Its this month on the 15th (hence the hat I am wearing). Burl Walter took over from Norm Zech at Reedley High back in the early 70's, and created the Kings Canyon Unified School District music program. A music program for EVERY child in the district. He made it so even the poorest children could learn a musical instrument. He also despised Susa marches, he had his kids march to songs like Basin Street Blues and Georgia on my Mind. SO in a way this is for the Old Man.

Last edited:
It's not quite Friday yet, but what the heck. Here's one Ringo Starr took to the top of the charts in 1973, what a fun little song.

Cat Stevens -- I Love My Dog

I Love My Dog is early Cat. ··· cute song.

(Sound on this seems to be degraded from what I uploaded. I will repost the vid if it seems that way to others. I heard skips, speed off a bit. Did you? I mean more than the way I usually do things ... :)

---->>> reloading vid -- done, again.
and again, w/o intro this time ...

Last edited:
hey there dick, the song and your performance sound great, but i am hearing some glitchiness on that audio...

ok here is a song often played by ringo starr and the all-starr band, "i wanna be your man"

i sometimes have trouble when combining different vids and audios in windows movie maker, the software i use, sometimes things sound glitchy and i can't make them work and like you, i sometimes have to give up on combining things and just keep it simple. it's a problem i have with movie maker in windows 8.1, i also find synching audio to video more hit and miss with 8.1, in the glory days of XP *sad nostalgic sigh for the good old days* i could synch vids and audio, and combine vids, much more easily and reliably

She on de lis' now little bruddah. I'm jus' kotchin' up after playin' out with lotsa friends for the last two nights.
ALSO, you're BEAUTIFUL song made me think about this version of Cripple Creek that was adorned by Brother Jon who contacted me this morning out of pure mutual love and sent me a beautiful song to listen to that made me for to weep like a grandpa missin' his grandkids (which is I am)

This one didn't get added to the playlist Alan.

Am I going to clutter up the Season with stuff that few other hosts would let me get away with?
Why yes.
Yes I am.
AND I suggest that you do the same.
Because it just isn't weird enough for me yet.

Singing with some friends at some show.

Top Bottom