soprano vs concert banjo uke

TUMB's up

Reaction score
Hi,
I saw a soprano and a concert banjo uke (same brand)...the concert had plate resonator...the soprano was only open back....
Why do you think the soprano was made only open?

As the resonator on concert can be removed and so it would become OPEN too:
do you think the OPEN sound of the concert is intended too weak so that's the reason they put the resonator?

I've seen many sopranos with and without the reso, and/or closed back. I have a soprano open back with a 6" head. Too easy to hold it firmly and mute the sound.....could be good if you actually try and do that to play more quietly. The bigger reso banjo ukes pretty much require a strap for most if not all of us unless sitting down and resting it on your leg. I think the resos have a fuller sound while the open backs seem more "plucky" sounding. A lot depends on the head material. Some of the Chinese makers advertise their instruments have a Remo Renaissance head...........I bought one and ended up with a partial refund because it did not. I had Goldtone put a calfskin head, no knot tailpiece, and do a setup on my concert. Sounds like a much better banjo uke.

I've seen many sopranos with and without the reso, and/or closed back. I have a soprano open back with a 6" head. Too easy to hold it firmly and mute the sound.....could be good if you actually try and do that to play more quietly. The bigger reso banjo ukes pretty much require a strap for most if not all of us unless sitting down and resting it on your leg. I think the resos have a fuller sound while the open backs seem more "plucky" sounding. A lot depends on the head material. Some of the Chinese makers advertise their instruments have a Remo Renaissance head...........I bought one and ended up with a partial refund because it did not. I had Goldtone put a calfskin head, no knot tailpiece, and do a setup on my concert. Sounds like a much better banjo uke.

thanks,
I'm trying to decide beetween soprano and concert...soprano would have the main choice if eventually tuned in GDAE ....but I had the tip that the E string in nylon would be very very thin and easy to break...
so I'm considering the mandola way CGDA ...and eventually the concert (but it costs a lot more...so I haven't decided yet)
For the weight: I want to use the strap with every string instrument because I don't like to hold them in other way, so the 6 or 8 inch doesn't make difference about the strap.

But the open concert plays well (the same as the open soprano) without resonator?
PS
I'm considering the Anuenue brand

The flat reflector plate allows the sound to escape out the gap between it and the bottom of the body. Without it, any open back of any size puts the sound right into the players body. It is very easy to make a reflector plate for the back of a soprano. If you would consider an Eddy Finn ( a rebadged Morgan Monroe) from www.shs.com, send me a private message and I will tell you what it will cost...you can also check ebay for the models and prices.

Top Bottom