Koaloha Sceptre top sunk

I'm the guy who bought the Sceptre from Mark and I too implore you Mark not to give up playing the uke because of this! I've already apologized for initially going off on you and I believe you didn't realize the top was caving in when you sold it to me. You've already said you'd take it back and refund my money so there's no hard feelings just some inconvenience for both of us.
The first thing I look at on any stringed instrument is the bridge area because this is where all the string tension is. Thin tops and light bracing sometimes can't take the load and the result is that the top starts to cave in between the bridge and the sound hole. As time goes on it only gets worse. The fault lies with the builder and from what everyone is saying Koaloha will make good on it.
I'll get my mirror out later and look inside to see what type of bracing the Sceptre has and pass that info on to everyone.
Again Mark, keep on playing your ukes! You're a stand up guy and could have just told me to go scratch but you didn't and this will all work out for both of us! s** happens!

Thanks for the support Glenn and responding on this thread. I appreciate you doing that. I'm going to keep playing just going to be getting rid of most and not buying anymore.

I've PM'd you about your Favilla (if you decide to put it on the block) & have to admit that I will likely be interested in your Sceptre as well if the OP isn't. I still would hope that you opt to give KoAloha a shot at looking it over & repairing it - if I bought it, that's exactly what I'd be doing with it.

Mahalo

It might help a lot of people if the Hawaiian Uke manufacturers could approve, come to an arrangement with and nominate a selection of mainland luthiers to carry out some of their warranty work for them. I accept that they are generally very helpful when it comes down to rectifying issues with their Ukes, but the problems with huge wait times because of (what I assume are) manufacturing commitments, and the cost of carriage, seem to be factors which are raised in every thread of this type that I've read.

If Mark (or his customer) could just have taken the Uke to someone a bit closer, who would then have submitted a report and estimate for repair to Koaloha, that would have made things simpler, and would probably have generated a lot of goodwill for the company.

Koaloha has lifetime warranty on their ukes regardless of who owns the uke. Get in touch with them and let them make things right i guess :)

It is certainly your call to make, but I would urge you one more time to let KoAloha try to fix it. Yes, they have had my PS since April and yes, the soonest estimate I have on a replacement is September. But they did not hesitate to replace it, and apologized for the delay. And when they do eventually replace it, I will have a brand new one to keep or sell for full value.

If you are not in dire need of the money, it could mean hundreds of dollars in the difference in the sale prices. $50 on shipping to Oahu now could net you much more in the future, even if you don't end up keeping the repaired or replaced Sceptre.

It is certainly your call to make, but I would urge you one more time to let KoAloha try to fix it. Yes, they have had my PS since April and yes, the soonest estimate I have on a replacement is September. But they did not hesitate to replace it, and apologized for the delay. And when they do eventually replace it, I will have a brand new one to keep or sell for full value.

If you are not in dire need of the money, it could mean hundreds of dollars in the difference in the sale prices. $50 on shipping to Oahu now could net you much more in the future, even if you don't end up keeping the repaired or replaced Sceptre.
Aloha Mark,
Staci has some sound advice...and how about this, If koaloha agrees to build you another one, ask the for a concert model...now how does that sound...wow I'd jump man...make the offer..NOW

Hey there my friend. I am just reading this thread and have to throw my support behind you. As someone who has bought and sold more than my share of ukuleles through the Marketplace, all you can do is be forthright with everyone in your dealings. And you have always done that. Everyone here that knows you considers you a friend and an asset to this forum. As you have found, the ukulele can be a fantastic source of joy and stress relief. But as in life, sometimes things don't go as planned. But it is how you deal with those unexpected bumps in the road that makes a person what he or she is. And the ukulele is a great crutch to lean on when dealing with those bumps in the road.

Please go strum your Kanilea, let it take you away, and don't do anything rash. As everyone here as said before me, call KoAloha. They will make you understand that there are still really great people and companies in this world, as Glenn now understands after dealing with you.

Thanks Dana, I do love the Kanilea as you know. I would love to strum the Collings also but I can't get it away from my mom long enough to do that. I am feeling better. Many thanks to you and everyone else on here for the help.
Hey there my friend. I am just reading this thread and have to throw my support behind you. As someone who has bought and sold more than my share of ukuleles through the Marketplace, all you can do is be forthright with everyone in your dealings. And you have always done that. Everyone here that knows you considers you a friend and an asset to this forum. As you have found, the ukulele can be a fantastic source of joy and stress relief. But as in life, sometimes things don't go as planned. But it is how you deal with those unexpected bumps in the road that makes a person what he or she is. And the ukulele is a great crutch to lean on when dealing with those bumps in the road.

Please go strum your Kanilea, let it take you away, and don't do anything rash. As everyone here as said before me, call KoAloha. They will make you understand that there are still really great people and companies in this world, as Glenn now understands after dealing with you.

Aloha Mark,
Who was the buyer?? Has the guy/gal been giving you some sort pressure...this seems like it...just reading between
the lines and noticed initial escalated emotional distress...You know it could have been damaged by the airplane cabin's air pressure. Just tell him/her you want the uke back and you have been more than honest and straightforward ...Good Luck..
I believe you when you initially said you did not notice anything wrong...I would know too, don't second guess
it might have been there...because you know speculating and second guessing on recollection has it faults....

Last edited:
I am the buyer and there was no damage from the airplane cabins air pressure...it was shipped UPS ground in 2 days from Kentucky to New Jersey, well packed and arrived undamaged. I am a long time collector of acoustic instruments and know what I'm talking about...the damage is from string pressure on too thin a top with insufficient bracing. Mark has decided to give me a full refund and take the uke back, so we are good. I've bought several other high end uses from other UU members and never had any problems. This is just on of those things that hopefully Koaloha will make good on and an inconvenience for both myself and Mark.

Aloha Glenn,
Thank you for doing the right thing....I know Mark was/is extremely stressed....yes I think it was under braced and a thin top too...but I would have known if
my bridge was leaning forward and the top had dished....hard to overlook that. I have lots of ukes too, and even have a kamaka like that...it is my beater uke.
I am glad to hear this was resolved amicably... sorry if I jumped on my assumptions, I know little on human behavior and it can be very dangerous.. I hope there is no hard feelings...Happy Strummings

Last edited:
It's all good. I'm going to refund the price and his shipping back. It taught me a lesson to check my ukes out better before selling.

Hey Mark,
Have you spoken to anyone at Koaloha about this ukulele yet?

Jimmy

I haven't got the Sceptre back yet Jimmy. It's supposed to ship out Monday and should be back here about mid week I would guess. I was going to wait till I got it back before I called them.
Hey Mark,
Have you spoken to anyone at Koaloha about this ukulele yet?

Jimmy

Heard from Brian at Koaloha...they gonna make good on it. Uke is on its way back to Mark...alls well that ends well!
Cheers to all my ukulele brethren!

I am so happy for you, you made the right decision. I know I am excited to get my new PS next week. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your new Sceptre...whether you keep it or sell it, it will be brand new.

KoAloha service and warranty are unparalleled. That is why I always recommend them as the default K brand purchase...that better than the weather is just that, and even transfers to future owners.

Keep us updated on how the repair/replacement goes. :)

Top Bottom