Season 256 - At Seventeen

Everyone can see that Im no spring chicken any more. I think its pretty obvious that I have been 28 for the last couple of birthdays :)
Nonsense - you're not a day over 26, and you have a wardrobe full of Justin Bieber t-shirts.:)

Season 256. Submission 2. "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" (Written by Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb and performed by The BeeGees)

I am too young to have a Justin Bieber t-shirt like Linda does. Hence this one:

Last edited:
Another Album I couldn't get enough of was/is Natalie Merchant's Tiger Lily. I walked all over Minneapolis listening to this! This is my favorite song from the album, but it was really hard to start/get into for some reason? So please hang in there! I think my Obsession for her came from my mom who listened to 10,000 maniacs!

Desaparecido

I remember listening to a lot of Manu Chao when I was about that age.
I didn't have the CD myself, but some of my friends had it, and this was a common song to put on.

I am not very good at spanish, hope most of the words come through allright.

When I was seventeen, I loved music by De La Soul, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, Jane's Addiction, the Pixies, Public Enemy, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M., the Replacements, and some great Idaho bands. I've already played songs by most of these bands for the Seasons, so I'm glad to have a chance to explore a couple more of these bands uke-style.

My love of Jane's Addiction didn't last long after high school. (Nowadays, I just think they're icky.) But at age seventeen, I thought they were amazing. Back then, "Jane Says" was one of only two or three songs I could muddle through on acoustic guitar. A perfect choice for this Season, yeah?

My grandmother had bought herself one of those little transistor radios--it was the only radio she had. One day I remember it was cold and rainy and I wasn't feeling well, so I curled up in bed with it when I was at her house and tuned it around until I came across a station that was playing what I guess we would now call "soft rock." It was the first time I ever heard "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

Ahhh, 17. If only I could remember back that far. Well, that's a lie. I remember the music better than the songs I heard last year.
It was a fantastic time growing up listening to what we called a trannie. You can't say that these days, of course, but a transistor radio was how everybody listened to their music. Trying to pick up Sydney radio stations on Sunday nights because Melbourne radio was all religious stuff. No good for teenagers. Others have documented the rise of the Beatles. I remember going to a scout camp in, probably, 1963 or 4 when all the kids suddenly stopped putting Brylcream in their hair, and started to comb it forward over their foreheads. What a hoot it was.
I was 17 in 1966-7, and the Beatles released Paperback Writer that year. On the flip side was this song...

I was 17 in 1998. This was just after I had returned from a year-long exchange in Japan, and I was just starting to work out who I was. I had started to grow my hair long, but it hadn't got past shoulder length, where it would stay for the next 14 years or so, and it was just before I began my goth phase, which didn't last anywhere near as long. If you had asked for songs from when I was 18, you might have gotten some Marilyn Manson, but as it is, this one was released in 1998 and brings back memories of the time.

Last edited:
I just realised the last 5 seconds got cut off. I'll try to re-upload it.

...and up to date again. I think we have 48 videos by about 27 people. And it's still only Thursday. Great going Seasonistas!

Robin - I hope you find the last few seconds of yours and reload it.

One comment made me think - we have all been talking about radio, and 8 track tapes in cars. And then along comes Auni and says she listened to "Tiger Lily" while she walked all over Minneapolis. When I was seventeen, that would have involved having a large cassette player held to my ear. But then came the Walkman generation, followed by the mp3 player, then the phone. And probably the watch. Are you telling me that 8 tracks are redundant? Oh yes, and it made me rush over to my CD shelves and see that "Tiger Lily" came out 22 years ago...AAARRGGHH!!

I was looking for song from when I was 17, but they were all written on stone tablets!

But I found a Johnny Cash that I can play. I'll hurry to learn it though.

1963 and the Beatles were just bursting onto the scene as were the Rolling Stones.
In the early days the Fab four were just too clean and suited in similar beatles jackets
whereas the Stones were more ragged and disreputable and it would have been a crime
if they were caught wearing similar outfits. Dress rebellion went with music rebellion and
the roots of the stones music was Black R&B from the States. They opened the doorway
to listen to Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Lightening Hopkins,
John Lee Hooker, Sam Cooke, and Ray Charles.

Last edited:
...and up to date again. I think we have 48 videos by about 27 people. And it's still only Thursday. Great going Seasonistas!

Robin - I hope you find the last few seconds of yours and reload it.

One comment made me think - we have all been talking about radio, and 8 track tapes in cars. And then along comes Auni and says she listened to "Tiger Lily" while she walked all over Minneapolis. When I was seventeen, that would have involved having a large cassette player held to my ear. But then came the Walkman generation, followed by the mp3 player, then the phone. And probably the watch. Are you telling me that 8 tracks are redundant? Oh yes, and it made me rush over to my CD shelves and see that "Tiger Lily" came out 22 years ago...AAARRGGHH!!
I was thinking about all the different was music has changed in it's production as well. I am old enough to remember 8 tracks, we had one in our car. Weird to think I lived through all those changes, and when my kids asked what a cassette was! Wish I was walking around Minneapolis with a Boom box,that would have been pretty bad a**!

I was thinking about all the different was music has changed in it's production as well. I am old enough to remember 8 tracks, we had one in our car. Weird to think I lived through all those changes, and when my kids asked what a cassette was! Wish I was walking around Minneapolis with a Boom box,that would have been pretty bad a**!

I listened to the radio on a valve radio in my mid teens. One or two people at school had transistor radios but I didn't get my first one until 1963 just after I left school. My father was with the RAF at the Persian Gulf at the time and he brought me a miniature one back from Aden on a visit there on business. It was a Japanese National radio (The predecessor of Panasonic) and it was both much smaller and cheaper than anything available in the UK at the time. I remember listening to the Stones, the Supremes (Baby Love), Roy Orbison (It's Over) on it. I was never really a big Beatles fan though I did buy a few of their records and still have their third album. The big show on the TV was Ready Steady Go on a Saturday night who featured all of the big names of the early mid 60s. We used to get home from the pub to drool over the co-host, Cathy McGowan. The Animals, The Yardbirds, The Who, Manfred Mann and others all appeared on RSG.

Thanks to the influence of the R&B based bands, someone brought over a number of the great Chicago Blues men to the UK and I remember seeing several on TV including, T Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and others who I forget now.

This was all after I was 17 and WGY is a lucky sod to be able to go for 1963 as things really took off at that time. 1962, when I was 17 was the lull before the storm. Many of the UK singers who were well known here before the Beatles rapidly faded into obscurity afterwards.

Last edited:

At seventeen, I was a sort of hippie/folkie wannabe. A very brief and disastrous episode trying to learn the guitar made me realise I was never going to be the next Joan Baez, but music still played a hugely important part in my life courtesy of my transistor radio. At seventeen, amongst many others, I would have been listening to Simon and Garfunkel. "American Tune" is my favourite Paul Simon song. It appeared initially as the third single release from his third studio album "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" (1973) and reappeared on the "Concert in Central Park" album of 1982. Neither of these dates corresponds to the time I was seventeen, but the lyrics seem so very appropriate at the moment. I dedicate it to Americans everywhere, and, well ... to all of us, really!

Fernando

Not an entry. Two years ago today we laid UkeyDave to rest. He would have been 17 when this came out, and we know he listened to it. He covered it in Season 90.

We're both playing in Bb if you want to strum along: Bb Gm Cm F, pretty much all the way through

Top Bottom