Kerfed Linings

Timbuck

Reaction score
Every now and again I get asked where do I get my kerfed linings from..of course "I say I make my own dosn't everybody"? :D....and now and again i'll send some off to other builders who tell me they can't get this small triangle stuff for sopranos..is there a supplier somewhere i can refer them to who stocks this type of linings? they are 1/4" X 3/16"....*NOTE*The StewMac mandolin linings are a bit too big for me.
PICT0011-10.jpg

Last edited:
Luthier's Mercantile International stocks small triangular kerfing in both mahogany and basswood. I recently used the mahogany on a parlor-size guitar - not sure of the exact measurements off the top of my head, but it was def. smaller than normal guitar kerfing. They also sell smaller square kerfing strips that are intended for ukuleles.

I just checked the LMI website. The triangular kerfing is 7/32" x 9/16" and also comes in cedar and spruce.

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Inside+the+Box&NameProdHeader=Kerfing

Far too large for Sopranos....The pitch of the kerf's are important as well..they are about 3/16" on mine...The square mandolin/Dulcimer type they do at 8mm X 6mm....could be ok to use if it was cut down triangular on the bandsaw...It's expensive tho' just for a bit of stick with notches in it. :rolleyes:

And Now! I'm off out on a bike ride with the local club :cool:

Last edited:
Hope you had a good ride!

yah, it's not the cheapest option, but cutting kerfing is so tedious. I'd rather buy it ready to go - but I applaud your instinct to do it yourself.

I initially make my kerfing square. But instead of cutting the triangular shape on a bandsaw I made a board with a series of Vs (VVVVVVV) routed in it. I place the square kerfings in the V troughs and run it through the drum sander. Smooth and easy.

Hope you had a good ride!

yah, it's not the cheapest option, but cutting kerfing is so tedious. I'd rather buy it ready to go - but I applaud your instinct to do it yourself.

The "Bike ride" was cancelled at the last minute due to a violent hailstorm :( So I did an hour on the spinning bike to make up for the lost milage. :)
But back to the "kerfed linings" we can make enough in one day for 30-40 soprano's so it's not that tedius once I get it all set up right...Mrs Timbuck actually likes making e'm :love:

Last edited:
Top Bottom