Season of the ukulele 278: "YOU CAN'T SEE THE WOOD FOR THE TREES"

Hello everyone!

I'm in Finland! Where you really can't see the wood for the trees! Sadly no uke with me (a condition of being allowed on the trip :-( )

I'm about an hour & half S of weegingayin.

Back in London Friday, Hopefully with something appropriate :rolleyes:

Well, I should HOPE so, too! (I was, of course, expecting a collab. with Rob when I heard you were going to Finland. Do hope you had a good time!)

Another OMAHU original is on its way, but while I was finishing it off this morning this lovely Dougie Maclean song popped into my head. Used to do it on guitar with a friend of mine, often at The Red Shed in Wakefield, but she sung it, not me. Anyway, I've not played it in a very long time, and this is my first attempt at singing it, but a couple of takes and it seemed to work ok. Redpaul1 just mentioned Wee Ginga Yin, maybe I should have done another Dougie Maclean song, Caledonia, in light of the Hamden Park result...but it doesn't mention trees I'm afraid :(

Go for it, John! Scotland/Caledonia is, after all, full of trees! (And I DID say that the Thornton Rule was in operation.)

Here's an original written for this season. It's a song about that hardy songwriting perennial, unrequited love, into which I have cleverly, some might even say masterfully, woven some tree related stuff. Others might say shoehorned rather than woven. Whatever. It warms you twice, by the way, is a line I vividly remember from a book I loved as a kid, Stig Of The Dump. I think it's originally courtesy of Henry Ford, who made a few cars back in the day.

Go for it, John! Scotland/Caledonia is, after all, full of trees! (And I DID say that the Thornton Rule was in operation.)
Thanks Val, I do need to try n get a lupin related song in though at some point too. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes :wallbash:

Thanks Val, I do need to try n get a lupin related song in though at some point too. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes :wallbash:

Oh, you have no idea how much a lupin song would be appreciated. (Even though mine are all dead and diseased now, and, as I told BEVOMU, I had to spend 20 euros on insecticide because they are infested with white fly and something small and green and clingy, the name of which I have still to translate from the French.)

Oh, you have no idea how much a lupin song would be appreciated. (Even though mine are all dead and diseased now, and, as I told BEVOMU, I had to spend 20 euros on insecticide because they are infested with white fly and something small and green and clingy, the name of which I have still to translate from the French.)
Well that settles it then Val. Watch this space.

Well, not specifically this space, but I'll have something for you in the next day or so.

Season 278. Submission 2. "Lazy River" (Words and music by Hoagy Carmichael and Sidney Arodin, 1931)

A quintessential song for summer. Another "oldie" Val in homage to your love for those great tunes. And, for me, another visit with one of a great songwriter - last time, Cole Porter and this time, Hoagy Carmichael.

This will either score me points with our esteemed host, or it will creep her out and get me disqualified.....lol

Well, thanks so much for your learned research, Keith! I have to say, I find the lyrics of the first one rather "flowery"!!!!! I think I prefer the Chinese one. Much appreciated!

And all this talk of lupins makes me think of the most marvellous Monty Python sketch, which SurlyMac reminded me of the other day ...

SOTU 278 - The Woodpecker Song (Original by Chris & Lucas Denney)

Wow! Sorry to have been away so long, and I know I must have missed a ton of great songs.

A friend pointed out to me that the current Season would be a good one for my song, "A Redwood Board," but I'm not sure he realized I wrote it for another Season quite a while back, and would need to redo it. That would be fun to do again, but I recently heard a song at the Ukulele World Congress 9 that I felt really fit the theme - especially with respect to woodpeckers.

"The Woodpecker Song" was written by the father-son duo, Chris and Lucas Denney from Ohio. They composed it last September (2016) while attending the Ohio Ukulele Campout 4, but performed it for the first time publicly at UWC this year.

I video'd their performance, and you can see it at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiaEVLmIbXQ

With their permission; Evelyn, Marylou, and I covered it last night during our weekly practice session. It's a fun one to sing along to, and I've added the lyrics as subtitles so: Please join in!

Verse Chords: Em, G, D, Em
Chorus Chords: C, Em, C, Em, C, Em, G, D, Em

I had been planning on doing this Roger Miller song, but yesterday Gary did a terrific version of it, so I thought I'd leave it be. Unfortunately, the song had gotten into my head and I just had to get it out! Here it is!

Last edited:
And time to log off for the night! A very big thanks to today's contreebutors: Geoff, Gary, Linda L., Alan, Ashley & Benji, Andy, Dave, Trent, Pa, Rex, Lynda (BEV), John, Linda (Turtledrum), Dick, Evelyn & Dennis (& Marylou), Randy and Sean Please keep those posts coming in!

And tonight's tree joke is ....

00477-daily-cartoons-tree-hugger - Edited (1).jpg

Top Bottom