A question about the sticky posts in the SOTU forum

TimWilson

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Staff member
UU+
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are a lot of sticky posts at the top of this forum, and it could well be the case that every one of them absolutely belongs there, in which case, there they will stay! I'm not suggesting that any of them don't belong. But I'm asking you good people, many of whom will have witnessed the creation of all of them -- do they all belong? :)

What made me think of it is this terrific post from @UkingViking to help people get started recording their own videos for the Seasons. I think it's a great candidate for a post worth stickying!

Right now we're at 8 sticky posts before the first new posts, ie, the new Season, and adding this excellent set of tips would make #9. If you're fine with that, I'm fine with that. I just wanted to bring it up, because I'm not sure what's the best approach for managing this much sticky stuff.

For that matter, should we be stickying the current Season? It's easy enough to sticky and unsticky each Season as we go, and I'm happy to do that to make the new stuff easy to follow if any of you think that would be helpful. If not, no worries. I swear I'm not looking for new jobs. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, a little more broadly on the topic of sticky posts, I'm putting together a Resources page of threads that are good references for everyone in the site, and I think @UkingViking's post is a perfect example. For those of you who (to paraphrase The Book of Job) go to and fro upon the forum, and walk up and down in it, keep an eye peeled, and let me know what else you think belongs in a set of sitewide resources. Edwin's masterful Seasons FAQ is definitely already on my list!

Thanks,
Tim

As far as I can tell the following are no longer useful:
  • SOTU design T-shirts
  • The Seasonista Anthem
  • Putting together all the Seasons of the Ukulele
"Your invitation to the Seasons of the Ukulele" may also be out of date and superceded by the FAQ thread? Not sure. They are all, as far as I can see, historically interesting and maybe should be added as links to the FAQ? I'll leave people who've been here longer than I have to chime in on that one.

Oh, on stickying/unstickying the current season, my guess is that it's probably not a big deal because it's always pretty prominent and up at the top and on the new posts page anyway. I suggest not doing the busywork :).

I've never seen the thread for a current Season slip off of the first page. Actually, there may have been one time someone came to the Seasons board for the first time and posted on dozens of threads in a day. Then a Seasonista simply posted in the current Season thread to move it back to the top.

"Your invitation to the Seasons of the Ukulele" may also be out of date and superceded by the FAQ thread? Not sure. They are all, as far as I can see, historically interesting and maybe should be added as links to the FAQ? I'll leave people who've been here longer than I have to chime in on that one.
I think Ginny's opening post in the Invitation thread strikes a very welcoming, non-intimidating tone that I like a lot. Maybe it's just a matter of the formatting and length. While your first post in the FAQ covers a lot of the same info, seeing all those questions in the first post looks more intimidating than it really is.

I like leaving the Invitation thread stickied, and may include that in the site-wide Resources page. I'm still outlining it, and I expect that we'll change it around quite a bit once people can see it and comment on it, but I appreciate the insight on what might be just as well be unstickied in this forum for now.

Thanks too for both of you waving me off another job! 🤣 I thank you, and my wife and dog thank you, although the rest of the world has already begun side-eyeing you for allowing me more time for my terrible ukulele renditions of Beatles songs! 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks too for both of you waving me off another job! 🤣 I thank you, and my wife and dog thank you, although the rest of the world has already begun side-eyeing you for allowing me more time for my terrible ukulele renditions of Beatles songs! 🤣
I am looking forward to these, you know :).

I am looking forward to these, you know :).

I'll be honest, I'm kinda psyching myself up here. :)

The realities of my job are that I won't be able to take a run at this for another 6 weeks or so, so don't expect anything before spring....but it has gone from "out of the question" to an actual question. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom