Avoid shapes giving same pitches?

O

Open_Tuna

Hi, I'm new around here. I don't even have a uke, but am thinking of getting one.

I have been playing the guitar for years and I understand theory and my question is about the differences in tunings. Basically, it appears that the shapes are the same.

My question is about the re-entrant tuning. Is there a problem because of two notes being exactly the same pitch (not octaves)? For example, the D shape (on guitar.) I guess on a gCEA tuning it would be a g chord. That is the g string and the E string would be providing the same exact note.

Is there a practice of avoiding shapes that produce the same pitches?

Not at all, in fact the D shape on guitar is the most commonly played G chord.

It really isn't a problem. Also, the reentrant tuning is largely responsible for that "ukey" sound.

There really is no reason not to have the same pitch doubled up - it ends up getting emphasized a bit I suppose, but not too bad. A bigger "issue" if you want to call it that is that on some of the chords the difference between a dominant seven chord and a major chord is not as pronounced as it is on guitar because of the proximity in pitch of the 1st and 4th strings. That's not a problem, though, just different.

John

I also learnt to play the guitar first but I have found since the frets are smaller you can stretch over 5 or 6 of them (not possible on a guitar). This means that its pretty easy to play around and try alternatives to chord shapes.

I also learnt to play the guitar first but I have found since the frets are smaller you can stretch over 5 or 6 of them (not possible on a guitar). This means that its pretty easy to play around and try alternatives to chord shapes.

The reason I couldn't play guitar but can play uke is my short stubbey fingers. Stretch over 5 or 6 frets?? What is that?

Doubling pitches can be ok...

It just depends on which pitches you want to double. A general rule of thumb is to double up on the root or the fifth degree. I also don't mind playing a chord with three notes on it.

There are voicings you can use that don't have the "double note" thing going on. They have their place. Nothing wrong with the double note version though.

JJ

I think it's a matter of preference; it really depends on the sound you're looking for. Myself, I usually try to avoid hitting the same note on different strings if I have a choice of two similar chord voicings. I think it makes for a fuller sound.

Top Bottom