Bigger nut width harder to play- is it just me?

All three of my tenors and my baritone have 38 mm nut width with 30 mm between 4th and 1st string. That's very comfortable for me, I generally suffer with a narrower nut. My guitalele has a 48 mm nut, and it feels a bit cramped.

All three of my tenors and my baritone have 38 mm nut width with 30 mm between 4th and 1st string. That's very comfortable for me, I generally suffer with a narrower nut. My guitalele has a 48 mm nut, and it feels a bit cramped.
Do you have a history with classical guitar?

In Autumn 2022, I borrowed a Donner DUS-1 from the local library to enable a practice session during lunch breaks. The immediate sensation was that string tension was "stiffer" on the concert scale uke than that to which I'd become accustomed on my soprano but something else felt odd.
A day or so before the borrowing term ended, I used a cheap metric ruler to measure nut width. It was 38mm. At the time, having yet to replace Yowling Tom's original extruded plastic nut and saddle for bison bone, I had no idea about nut width but found that my soprano nut was 35mm.
I didn't necessarily dislike the Donner's wider nut but the difference in playability was unmistakable.
Here's the only cover I posted with the borrowed Donner (Hello, My Baby). To avoid my awful voice, the fingerstyle solo begins at 0:31.

Top Bottom