Booli was right. Intonation frustration relief...

The key word here is “gentle” when talking about stretching, the strings have to stretch, that’s a given. I worry when I here “pulling to stretch” what does this mean? Do you put your foot on one end and give them yank, or is it done once the string is installed?

I've seen videos with different folks, but one example was with Kimo Hussey, wherein once the uke has a new set of strings freshly installed, he holds the nut of the uke out at arms length with the left hand, and strings facing his chest, and then at about the 12th fret or so, pulls the string like it is an archery bow, and draws it as much as 6-8" away from the fretboard.

Mind you, he's not going along the whole length of the strings, but just at around the 12th fret position, and doing this 6-7 times in a row, and then moving to the next string.

I was damn shocked when I saw this. I can guarantee that doing like Kimo showed in the video is going to cause intonation problems and premature string failure.

I dont have the link and likely did not bookmark it since I felt it was very bad advice to do that. My own experience has proven this to me. I always recommend against that kind of stretching, but I can only lead a thirsty horse to water, and if he wants to be spiteful (LOL) and not quench his thirst, it is not for me to force the issue.

Top Bottom