Converting a Mini Travel Guitar to a Four string

Deebee

Reaction score
A Luthier reduced the width of my six string in order that I can more easily play four strings - narrowing to 3/8ths off each side to match my Pono steel String UL-4 . As a former Classical Acoustic instrument, its now a cross between a Tenor Guitar and a large body Baritone. It's currently tuned DGBE using the original top four Savarez Cristal strings. However I'm keen to retune to CGDA, so can I change the strings around or search for other suitable strings to fit the 22.7/8th Scale?

Contact Strings by Mail, tell them what you have detailed here. They really are the experts and will give you excellent advice on what strings to use.

By the way that sounds like a very interesting modification you have made to that nylon string guitar. I have a Cordoba Cadet 3/4 size classical guitar with a 23" scale length. Although it was only $300 it has a great sound when I decide to play ukulele pieces on the bottom four strings. A longer scale length and bigger body wins everytime, you can't fight physics.

Last edited:
A4 on 23" scale is going to be tricky. I'm not sure that's possible. You could make it A3 which would be a "low reentrant" configuration

How ‘bout a picture…

Any commercial tenor guitar string set with the first string 0.009" will work, but expect the first string to break easily. If i were selecting strings for it, i would choose a slightly heavier set (first string 0.010"), tune it a full step low (Bb,F,C,G) and use a capo at the second fret when i wanted the higher tuning.

Or better yet, accept GDAE tuning for a 23" scale tenor guitar. (Better tonal quality imo.)

Last edited:
PS: A 23" scale tuned in 5ths is going to have pretty large stretches for some chords -- another reason why tuning low and capoing might work better.

Top Bottom