Does anyone have Ledward Kaapana tabs?

epoxyemocat

Reaction score
Does anyone have Ledward Kaapana tabs for ukulele or guitar?

Or any slack key Hawaiian tabs?

Thanks

I’ve been on this quest, too, although I don’t play the guitar. I did find guitar tabs for Whee Ha Swing in a post on taropatch.com. It’s actually a set of slack key tunes in an old TEF file format.

Good luck. I’ve decided to shelve that task for now. There are many nice slack key tunes that just refuse to be transposed to the four string uke.

If you are just getting started on your ukulele slack key adventure, I highly recommend Mark Nelson’s book, “Learn to Play Slack Key Style Ukulele”.

Without access to a local teacher, I’m at the point where I am starting to transcribe tunes off YouTube. I did manage to transcribe two Sonny Chillingworth tunes. I’ll post a link if you are interested.

Last edited:
I made a mashup tab like a decade ago. Might give you some ideas for some licks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yb_j-qZhnzCpCzPWtq2gCBKR8-m2fSpp/view.

Hawaiian music and slack key style is such an aural tradition that making a tab for such songs seems silly to most of the people who play in that style. You watch and listen and figure it out - or you don't and you keep trying. That's how Uncle Led and everyone in his cohort learned to play.

Creating an intricate note-for-note tab for something that a great Hawaiian player plays is, in my opinion, a more useful lesson for the transcriber than it is for the end user. Practically nobody is going to be able to pick up an accurate Led Kaapana tab and make it sound remotely like him - or even "Hawaiian."

If this style is interesting to you, I would get hold of every Hui 'Ohana, Led solo, Troy Fernandez solo, Peter Moon Band/Sunday Manoa album you can find. Then listen to them all on repeat until you can sing the solos in your head. Then pick a song that seems simple and figure it out by ear. Then another and another. This will teach you to play in a Hawaiian style, not just the right notes. Anybody can learn the "right" notes, but it takes a deep familiarity that only comes from listening and feeling to make it sound Hawaiian.

Just my $.02. I should make a podcast about this. Good luck!

Top Bottom