EleUke "Uke Rock" Contest WINNERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, let it go. i havent heard from the third place winner but im sure he agrees with us other winners that ur hurting our feelings. so like ya, let it go

People are missing my point. Like I said earlier, I am not bashing on anyone. I didn't mean to offend you, but if I did I apologize. It was not my intention. Just make a grading system.

ukeADDICTx makes a fair point when he references deach's post.

• A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
  • A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
  • Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

• some sort of theme
  • specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
  • end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
  • number of entries permmited
    [*]judging criteria
  • prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

Check #5. I'm pretty sure that rule is in there to minimize debate about the winners and avoid any oom bopping drama.

The point that ukeADDICTx is trying to make is not about who should have won, as some people seem to believe. His core argument is a fair point, and I think Aldrine and Ryan (and Aaron) would be wise to incorporate rule #5 in the next awesome giveaway.

On the ohter hand, if there is bashing of the winner in her videos, that's unacceptable, and whoever is doing that should stop.

ukeADDICTx makes a fair point when he references deach's post.

Check #5. I'm pretty sure that rule is in there to minimize debate about the winners and avoid any oom bopping drama.

The point that ukeADDICTx is trying to make is not about who should have won, as some people seem to believe. His core argument is a fair point, and I think Aldrine and Ryan (and Aaron) would be wise to incorporate rule #5 in the next awesome giveaway.

On the ohter hand, if there is bashing of the winner in her videos, that's unacceptable, and whoever is doing that should stop.

I will be hosting a contest shortly. The prizes will not be huge. It's a fun little contest. I have already thought out a scoring system which I will make public right from the start. Consider my contest an experiment, a trial run. And, you're all welcome to enter my contest. I wlll try to get it set up within the next couple of weeks.

Ok, Reverend Will has said most of the things I was thinking and Scarecrow has said most of the rest.

However...

I felt there was inconsistency in the videos, which is why I am speaking my thoughts.
And your opinion on this matters... why?
Secondly, there were not judging criteria stated, which is why I am trying to make my point heard.
This doesn't make sense. Why said there has to be criteria? And what does a lack of criteria have to do with making your point heard?
You seem to be working off the assumption that there must be criteria. This is wrong.
I am not saying go back now and redo the winners based on a grading system. What I am saying is make a scoring system in the future.
What gives you the gall to demand this (and yes, saying "make a scoring system", as well as hijacking a thread, IS demanding)? Seriously... what makes you think that you have the right to even express this as an opinion?
There are contest rules that Deach posted, however maybe that needs to be changed. There are those who want to be scored and placed accordingly and a grading system is what could be implemented into the rules of a contest.
OR... and this is just an idea... those that want to be judged like that should NOT join contests where they aren't scored. What you are demanding is that they completely change how they do things, just because it's how YOU think it should be. Those that won and didn't win did so in THIS competion, this contest. Not one where they are scored. You're talking about a completely different competition.
Everyone talks about a supportive community, however if this is a community where all uke players are supported, don't you think that my point should be supported as well? I am not saying I am right and you are wrong, it just this is what needs to be heard.
Actually, this is EXACTLY what you are saying by demanding they change it and by hijacking the thread.
Personally, I think that, because you are saying that the judging criterion is wrong, or even that you have a right to know about it! (You don't by the way.), is wrong. I AM saying that you are wrong to do that.

You don't get to define how someone else runs their competition. Not even a little bit. And you CERTAINLY don't get to make comments about it!
(And before we get to the whole "Freedom of speech/ shouldn't I get a voice?" thing, it works both ways. You get to say what you want, fine. But so do we. when you say "don't you think that my point should be supported as well", what you are saying is "Shouldn't I be allowed to say whatever I want without anyone disagreeing with me?" That's not how it works.
AND, while we're on that point, this site IS supportive of uke players. That has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your point on this subject.
Thirdly, Eleuke can decide to not award me my prize.
How's that martyrdom coming?
And that is because, again, it is the judges decision. I have no problem accepting a loss or a win.
Well, you don't have a problem with it until you do... and you VERY obviously have a problem with a loss or a win for other people that you don't think are worthy, evidenced by your comments.
I also have no problem accepting the Eleuke company from not awarding me my prize. However, no where did I say I was ungrateful or unappreciative.
Not about YOUR prize, no... other folks? Not so much...
In fact, it was quite the opposite. I did not trash the winners but rather pointed out that other similar videos should have been in the top four based on the winning top four.
THIS is the problem. Right here. "SHOULD HAVE BEEN".
Based SOLELY on your opinion and personal criterion. You don't get to do that.
It's completely self-important. This is what people have a problem with, I think.
But let's look at your sentence. "I didn't trash the winners, I just said that other videos should have won instead of them" How is that NOT trashing them?
If you'd like to think that I am pulling a stunt and bringing drama, well that is your opinion and I respect that.
No, I think it's a pretty well established and proveable fact, not an opinion.
People don't like it when others want change. However, I think the change can bring benefits.
Again, what you think on how someone else runs their competitions? Not valid. You don't get to demand this.
Lastly, I understand what you are saying, but I believe you are missing my point. I am appreciative of my winnings. No where did I say that I should win first. I congratulated all the winners and the contestants.
And then slagged them off by saying that other videos should have won...
If anything, I would think this would minimize future conflict.
The only one causing conflict are those that have tried to impose their will, their opinions, their criteria and their demands on us.
If there was a judging criteria, would you be reading this now?
If folks hadn't made ingratious (and just plain rude) comments that they have no place to make, would we be reading this? If you didn't think that your opinion was more important than the judges, would we be reading this?
No, we'd all feel really good and happy for everyone.
If the bad feelings and negative comments, that you are now defending and trying to justify, hadn't be made, this thread would be full of congratulations and good feelings.
Instead?
Would I have responded the way I did? Would you be responding back to me? If we do have a grading system, then no one would complain because you are scored.
YOU DON'T GET TO DEMAND THAT?
You said it in your first sentence there. "Would [you] have responded the way [you] did?" This is EXACTLY the problem.
NOWHERE was it said "These will be scored using ukeADDICTx's criteria"
YOU started this with your response. YOU caused the drama. YOU caused, and are continuing to cause, the conflict by complaining about folks winning and not winning a contest that they weren't in.
I don't believe this will make the contests stop, but it will make contests less dramatic.
I believe the drama and conflict you brought are an example of a MAJOR deterrant, one that very easily could make the contests stop.

If they're going to have to put up with "Those people shouldn't have won because I think my opinion is more important that everyone elses, including the judges and the folks holding the contest" every single time? Why would they continue?

I think both sides of the argument have made their points. This thread shall now be closed. Any further issues can be brought to me via PM. Thank you.

Like I said the last time, we don't decide who the winner is. We narrow down the entries to finalists and the sponsoring company chooses the winners. These companies don't have to sponsor these contests and we're all lucky that Eleuke was so generous with the prizes. Its their contest so we feel its fair for them to give these FREE ukes to whoever they feel deserves them which is why we tend to have looser criteria for judging than forum run contests.

Pretty disappointed with the behavior of everyone. I think this might be the last contest we do for a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom