I'm Leavin' On A Jet Plane....

Ukecaster

Reaction score
.....Unfortunately, it was a Medflight.:censored:

Got Medflight'ed today from Marthas Vineyard to a top Boston hospital. One of my knee replacements (already re-done once) got a bad infection, blew up with fluid, couldnt put any weight on it, without excruciating pain. This all happened totally out of the blue. I went to bed 9:30 on Monday night, with no symptoms. Tried to get up 3 hours later for bathroom, but my knee couldn't support me, wicked pain. Apparently, serious infection in knee replacements is not uncommon, but in 3 hours with no warning? Weird. Sepsis is scary

I just felt bad for my wife, who had to load all the luggage, coolers, food, dogs, by herself into our Jeep on Tuesday, then catch a later boat off-island, as we were closing our family summer cottage for the season. She did great, a real trooper, who was mighty tired today. She'll come tomorrow to visit after my surgery, where they cut and clean everything out, maybe replacing a few of the plastic parts. Since I'll probably be in hospital for a few days, she'll bring my fave small uke, my Famous thinline soprano FS-0. Not gonna let em bring me down.

Attachments

• 20231011_134003.jpg
    20231011_134003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231011_134058.jpg
    20231011_134058.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231011_134104.jpg
    20231011_134104.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
Wow, that is lousy. Hope you are back up and around real soon.

Although extra down time would give give you more uke-time! Gotta look for the positives

Yikes! that is crazy and serious.

Wishing for a successful surgery and a full and speedy recovery. And then have a great dinner at your wife’s restaurant of chonce!

So sorry to hear about your knee, John. Wishing you a successful, speedy recovery … and no repeat MedFlights in your future!

Last edited:
Ouch and yikes! Very scary! I'm glad they are dealing with it pronto, but gosh, that's not a lot of fun on any level. Wishing you an uncomplicated and quick surgery, and a speedy recovery and back home soon.

Sorry to hear this.
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, and sending good thoughts for your wife, too, who is understandably mighty tired and no doubt mighty stressed.

A good reminder that we never know what is about to happen to us and in the world.

.....Unfortunately, it was a Medflight.:censored:

Got Medflight'ed today from Marthas Vineyard to a top Boston hospital. One of my knee replacements (already re-done once) got a bad infection, blew up with fluid, couldnt put any weight on it, without excruciating pain. This all happened totally out of the blue. I went to bed 9:30 on Monday night, with no symptoms. Tried to get up 3 hours later for bathroom, but my knee couldn't support me, wicked pain. Apparently, serious infection in knee replacements is not uncommon, but in 3 hours with no warning? Weird. Sepsis is scary

I just felt bad for my wife, who had to load all the luggage, coolers, food, dogs, by herself into our Jeep on Tuesday, then catch a later boat off-island, as we were closing our family summer cottage for the season. She did great, a real trooper, who was mighty tired today. She'll come tomorrow to visit after my surgery, where they cut and clean everything out, maybe replacing a few of the plastic parts. Since I'll probably be in hospital for a few days, she'll bring my fave small uke, my Famous thinline soprano FS-0. Not gonna let em bring me down.
Glad you're feeling better! You're lovely wife sounds like a real trooper, we all need someone we can count on. Those life flight jets are rather cushy on the inside; in my salad days medical transport was part of my job description- helicopter too!
Get well soon!

Top Bottom