Kamoa Evolve E3

jasonisin1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I travel a lot for business and if I can I try to hit the local Uke shop of the town I’m in. While my playing is crap, I have severe UAS. I am slowly fixing my playing as I practice, practice, practice but the UAS will never go away.

So recently I was in Sacramento California and visited the Strum Shop in Roseville. http://thestrumshop.com/ If you’re in the area they were great, I liked the shop a lot and they gave me a great discount.
When I called to see what they carried before I came over they told me they carried Kamoa so I immediately asked if they had an Evolve. He told me they did and I said I would make sure to visit them to check it out. (Unbelievable!)

I went in and there it was a Cherry Burst E3 Evolve! This is one of the new models that are supposed to be available. It doesn’t have the flashy wood of the Evolve but the paint job is awesome. The changes as I understand it are in the construction and support of the bridge and newer pickups. It now has internal bracing that supports it and is glued to the back. It looks very solid to me.

It has Seymour Duncan pickups, I am not sure but from the Seymour Duncan website they look like the Hot Rails SHR-1 pickups. (I have no idea what this means but one of you might.)

Now on to sound:

Playing unplugged it sounds like you would expect it to, much quieter but it still had pretty great tone. I think I can get away with playing it around my wife without driving her crazy. Fingerpicking was cool and the steel strings weren’t as bad as I thought they would be.

I don’t currently even own an amp so I borrowed one from my buddy while I research what to buy. My friend lent me an awesome Vox amp and base cabinet. (I instantly thought that looks like massive over kill to me but just looking at it I was super excited about plugging the tiny Uke into the huge setup. It was hysterical really.)

So there I was no idea how to use an amp other than the brief instructions my friend gave me. I plugged in the amp turned it on and waited 20 seconds like he told me for the tubes to warm up then turned everything else on and plugged in the Uke. I turned the gain and volume to the middle on the amp and spun the volume knobs on the Evolve and strummed a C chord. CRAZY LOUD, my 5 year old daughter told me I was “freaking her out” because it was so loud. My mistake, I turned down the gain and volume so it wasn’t at 125 decibels anymore and started fooling around.

It was Awesome, it’s a lot different from my other Ukes. If I have the settings right it sounds like a very loud concert Ukulele, which is what it is. Then if I fiddle the dials a little I sound like Ozzy. Let me restate what I said it’s not Awesome it’s Freaking AWESOME! I don’t want to sound like Ozzy all the time I just like fooling around.

I love it and it opens a huge new world of stuff for me to learn. That’s one of the most exciting parts for me.

Here is a great review done by someone who plays way better than I do so you can hear it. I am attaching photos of mine. I hope lots of you out there in UU land go down this road as well as traditional Uke because this steel string electric is just cool.

My hat is off to Kamoa for producing an awesome instrument.

http://liveukulele.com/reviews/kamoa-e3-evolve-electric-steel-string-ukulele/

IMG_0629.jpgIMG_0628.jpgIMG_0627.jpgIMG_0626.jpgIMG_0624.jpg

I always visit the Strum Shop when I travel up north for work. GREAT STORE. I like playing ukes acoustically so I didn't try out the electrics. Love your vid :) one of the store owners in San Diego where they also carry them mentioned the Evolve was being knocked off by another company out of China.

Kohanmike,
Those are great videos and I have been watching and waiting right along with all of you!

My local store carries Kamoa, he said they are not made by another Chinese Company. They are made at their own Kamoa Company and they are trademarked. I guess it happens all the time with many brands. Look at all the Martin copies. Either way, the ones you ordered look WAY COOl and I can't wait to hear some videos.

Jason, welcome to the club.

I'm glad to see that Kamoa has made improvements. The one that I have is not perfect, but it has become my go to instrument. Enjoy!

Thanks guys, I love it. Mine is number 142 from Kamoa. I am not sure if they built in China and finish them in the US but mine is sweet.

My only problem is mine is way to much instrument for me.... but I'm learning!

From what I've read, Kamoa does make it's own standard ukes, but the best I can tell, the Evolve is made by that Chinese company as an OEM for Kamoa. A while ago I called Kamoa and Sam answered. I asked about getting an Evolve since it was not on their web site, he said they're special order only and depending on the color and model, would be up to six months. That's what prompted me to search out another source and came upon the Chinese company. Judging by the time the Chinese company is taking to make our 22 ukes (3 months), it sure sounds like Kamoa is on the same waiting list.

This is the one I'm waiting for.
archtop style.jpg

I just found a mini battery amp on a Chinese site that is 2 watts with reverb, tremolo, chorus, tuner and 80 rhythm tracks built in.
mini amp efx min.jpg

And I'm going to use my Crate Limo 50 watt battery amp for big gigs.
Crate Limo.jpg

Last edited:
I like the severe UAS part. Thanks for reviewing this uncommon axe.

In case anyone here has missed my other posts, the Kamoa Evolve is an OEM by East-Start in China, it's their design and Kamoa just puts their name on it. I got this directly from the East-Start sales manager who is handling our UU group order.

kohanmike,
I've been trying to get a hold of anyone at East-Start, but they've never returned any of my emails. I've been attempting to buy some ukes from them for several months. Then, I found this forum and found that I was too late to get in the group buy. I have their website, but can't seem to get through. Would you share the contact you use for them? I'll wait now to see how everyone likes their ukes when delivered, and if the reviews are positive, I'll try to do anything group buy.
Thanks!

bazmaz - If you're talking about the Evolve E3 (they have a line of E3 standard ukuleles), when I contacted Kamoa a few months ago asking why the Evolve is not listed on their web site, the owner Sam answered and told me that the Evolve is special order only and takes up to six months, $600-$750 US. That's why I went for the East-Start model for $165 before I even knew they provided it to Kamoa. It doesn't look like it will be in any stores via Kamoa. Maybe a British company will put their name on the East-Start ukes and sell them for a more reasonable price than Kamoa (I'm sure Kamoa would have sold a lot more in the states if they were priced around $450).

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. Yeah, Southern Uke over here had the Evolve in a while ago, but not since and state they are not sure when next in. I too heard they were expensive, but sound decent.

Top Bottom