Looking For Bridge Piece For Greg Bennett Baritone Ukulele

rokitman

Reaction score
I own a Greg Bennett baritone uke with a broken bridge piece. It's the white plastic or bone strip that lays in the bridges groove and it needs to be replaced.

I wrote the local Guitar Center for a price. He said anywhere from $60. to $80. depending on the model. I think this is ridiculous for a strip of plastic 3" long and 1/4" wide.

I'm I being naive here in not knowing what parts cost for a musical instrument? I just can't justify that price tag.

Anyone know of a source I can get a better price than that? I'm a professional craftsman and I'll make one myself before I pay that.

Thanx for any info.
- Dean -

Attachments

• C360_2013-01-18-16-52-45.jpg
    C360_2013-01-18-16-52-45.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
Sounds ridiculous to me, too. A local music store should have or be able to get a saddle blank. If not, Stew-Mac and Luthiers Mercantile will send you one for about three bucks plus postage. If you need help in fitting it properly, many folks here will chime in. It sounds like you won't have a problem getting it to the correct length and thickness. The only slightly tricky part is getting the height correct so that the strings are at the proper height above the frets. Everything you need to know about this is available here with a search but if you would like some guidance, just ask.

Last edited:
He probably quoted you the price to shape it and install it. I typically see it around $40 to $50 in Los Angeles for a ukulele from a independent store. From GC, I would expect it to be more.

Welcome to the forums Rok.You definitly want a bone saddle not plastic. If the nut is made of plastic, you may want to get a bone one made up also. It'll improve the sound bigtime.

Bone saddle blanks cheap on ebay. Just file and sand to proper height, length, and thickness...see original saddle for dimensions.....just don't breathe in bone dust...not good for you.

Bone nut nice, but it's the saddle that's most important re: tone.
Search ukulele bone saddle and bone saddle blanks seperately. One will be finished and may include the nut, but will still require fitting, the other complete blanks. Most of the blank saddles are thick enough to make nuts also. If you have access to a belt sander, it will go more quickly (remember about the dust)

Last edited:
Top Bottom