New Uke Intonation and Sound Problem/Questions...

kegmcnabb

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a professional quality tenor scale uke by a highly respected maker and sold by a reputable dealer (and let me point out from the start that everyone has been professional and courteous). The uke had a Mi-Si installed at the factory.

I have 3 observations and questions.

I get the uke. It was beautiful and its acoustic sound was just a beautiful, everything I was hoping for...as long as I stayed in the lower positions. If I played up around the 12th fret things get really iffy. Testing the both the open string and the 12th fret harmonic against the 12th fret reveals that all strings are considerably sharp.

I called the dealer immediately with my concerns. The dealer immediately took it back, and sent to to the factory to check that the instrument had been properly set-up again after the Mi-Si install.

Anyway, I got it back. Two strings are better (not perfect) but it is still quite sharp to my ears on two of the strings. Testing on multiple tuners revealed this to be true as well, showing a deviation of 10-15 cents.

So my first question is what level of intonation accuracy should I expect on an $800+ ukulele by highly-respected manufacturer and sold and set-up by a respected dealer?

My second questions concerns the amplified sound, which I really didn't test initially, as I sent the uke back immediately due to the intonation issues. When I plugged it in (after properly charging) the Mi-Si didn't sound very good...a big surprise given its reputation. I also realize that this could be somewhat subjective. For example, I don't expect it to sound like my Applause, but in comparison it is muddy and indistinct - not what I expected. I tried it through several amps and preamp combinations with the same results. I got the best sound through a preamp directly into a mixing board, monitored with cans, but it still was't anywhere near as clear and present any of my other acoustic instrument pick-ups. Is this how it should be?

There does seem to be a significant buzz created by the frequency of the "A" string. I say frequency because nothing else on the "A" string buzzes and if you play "A" on the "E" string it buzzes the same. It seems to go away when I press on the treble end of the bridge.

This buzz translates into a distortion in the electronic signal. Could that be causing a general muddy and indistinct quality to the output sound?

I guess ultimate it leads to another question. It seems I should be expecting better quality for an instrument of this reputation and price level. Should I?

Again, everyone involved has been professional and polite. This is not about the brand, factory, or dealer. I am simply asking what level of intonation accuracy and electronic sound quality would you expect in a uke in this price range?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The sharpness at the 12th is most likely the strings. When they are new they can easily stretch unevenly. If they are completely slackened off to install an undersaddle pickup and then tightened again, that only makes it worse. I know it is tempting to think that the instrument has the frets in the wrong place or the bridge has been put on crookedly, but that is very unlikely, particularly in a quality instrument. New strings will probably do the trick.

More worrying is the buzz on the A frequency. I had something similar once. It turned out that one of the bracing spars was not glued down at one end. It was easily fixed. But you do need to find out what is causing it, or it may drive you crazy.

If the Mi-Si doesn't sound good, it is either a faulty unit or it has been badly installed and is not sitting under the saddle evenly.

My advice is to get back to the dealer. The dealer has a responsibility to sell you a product that works. All the top dealers realise the value of a happy customer. They will not want you to be unhappy with their service. All good dealers will realise that they would not just be losing one customer, but everyone that you speak to also. Don't be afraid to insist. If they should become unco-operative, tell them that you will be getting the forum's input on their behaviour and attitude.

Hope this helps

Ditto on Ken's advice.
The rattle/buzz can be tough to find as they sometimes travel like a water leak.
One of the common rattles I have found is the end pin plug, I find them loose often.
Also check all the tuners to make sure everything is tight.
For what you have spent you should be happy with your ukulele. Good Luck....

Well,

Still having problems. The intonation is better (but not great - my Applause is better) but the factory-installed Mi-Si still sounds terrible (again, my Applause sounds better). This is not merely subjective. There is significant audible distortion. I have tried re-seating the saddle as suggested by the dealer but to no avail. The p/u has also been properly charged.

This is very distressing to me. This is an $800+ uke (a "K" brand - don't want to be too specific as I am not really interested in pointing fingers but merely to indicate this should be considered a "pro" quality uke). I know the p/u isn't correct but what level of intonation accuracy should I expect? Am I being too picky? (I don't think so.)

Sadly, my dealer (while helpful) has retired and I am finding myself on my own on this one.

I really want this uke to work. Acoustically, in the lower positions, it sounds and plays GREAT - everything I wanted- but the upper position intonation and the electronics are simply not up to par.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks!

It sounds to me like the MiSI pickup was not properly installed, or is defective. I know Chuck Moore has made several posts on how to install these correctly. The pickup has to be installed a bit past the last string, but not too far, since the whole thing is not sensitive. I will see if I can find that post. Here is one he made

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?30880-Mi-Si-pickup-installation&highlight=chuck+moore+misi

Here is the MiSi product manual

http://mi-si.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/trio.manual_1.pdf

Buzzes can be the dickens to track down, and as Ken says, they will drive you nuts. On on of my tenors I had one develop after I installed a pickup inside. I swore up and down that it was the pickup or a loose brace and was to the point of removing it. Finally, I discovered that the C string was just too close for hard strumming. I shimmed that string temporarily(above the saddle) and it went away. I have now ordered a new saddle for it.

If I didn't want to take it to a luthier, I would take the saddle off and gently lift the MiSI pickup to see if it was installed per the instructions. Also I would start googling and reading about how to correct intonation and start measuring distances, such as string heights, nut to 12th fret, 12th fret to saddle etc. These are all things that I would expect to be close to perfect on an $800 uke, should I ever get un-cheap enough to purchase one. As Ken says, the dealer is your best bet at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom