Newbie following in some footsteps.

JohnnyO57

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the add to this great resource. I’m 65, retired and adding yet another hobby. This all started a few weeks ago when I was finally cleaning out some boxes of my Mom’s old stuff we had stored for many years and found…my Dads old Kay Ukulele! This was the same Ukulele that I had brought in to play at Show & Tell in 2nd grade! My guess is that it’s between 60 - 70 years old as I don’t remember when he first got it. It was in rough shape, but I cleaned it up, put some Aquila strings on it and started tuning it. And kept tuning it for about a week before the strings stopped stretching so much.

I don’t remember much of how to play, but my wife does and has a Lanikai ACST-S and I’ve been using hers to get started since the Kay has such a tiny fretboard width. I’m now looking to buy my own and after several trips to local music shops I think a tenor would be best suited for me to learn. I’m doing a ton of research online since there are no Uke shops around here in the Northeast US and music store offerings tend to be rather poor. I’ll post some questions soon in the beginners or buying tips boards. I’ll leave you with this pic of the newly resurrected Kay Ukelele and some old guy. 😀

-John

Attachments

• F825A187-62C9-4913-BBB8-0171B482145A.jpeg
    F825A187-62C9-4913-BBB8-0171B482145A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Welcome to UU, John!
What a fun discovery. I hope you'll find a fantastic uke for you, but I'd keep the Kay around as well. Enjoy your instruments!

Welcome to UU, John!
What a fun discovery. I hope you'll find a fantastic uke for you, but I'd keep the Kay around as well. Enjoy your instruments!
Thanks! We are definitely keeping that as a family heirloom. Who knows, perhaps my granddaughter will someday discover it in a long forgotten box. 😀

Maybe you should introduce her sooner than later... I can just imagine her saying "What is this tiny guitar thing in the box with Grandpa's ashes?"

Sorry for the morbid humor, but a few of us here are like that...

Welcome to UU!

BTW: Ponos are amazing ukuleles for the price...

I was thinking similarly in a way. If you don't want her to find it in the future and just see it as "some old junk in grandpa's attic", you need to create some memories with her that include it. Then, it will mean something to her and have a chance at continuing its life into another century!

I was thinking similarly in a way. If you don't want her to find it in the future and just see it as "some old junk in grandpa's attic", you need to create some memories with her that include it. Then, it will mean something to her and have a chance at continuing its life into another century!
Thanks that actually is the plan. Music is a big part of her parents lives. My son is a Music education professor at a state college and my daughter in law sings with a professional choir group. Sadly musical talent seems to have skipped a generation in my family (with me at least). Both my parents could play instruments “by ear” without formal training. I’m endeavoring to correct that. 😀

Welcome aboard friend!

Hi everyone and thanks for the add to this great resource. I’m 65, retired and adding yet another hobby. This all started a few weeks ago when I was finally cleaning out some boxes of my Mom’s old stuff we had stored for many years and found…my Dads old Kay Ukulele! This was the same Ukulele that I had brought in to play at Show & Tell in 2nd grade! My guess is that it’s between 60 - 70 years old as I don’t remember when he first got it. It was in rough shape, but I cleaned it up, put some Aquila strings on it and started tuning it. And kept tuning it for about a week before the strings stopped stretching so much.

I don’t remember much of how to play, but my wife does and has a Lanikai ACST-S and I’ve been using hers to get started since the Kay has such a tiny fretboard width. I’m now looking to buy my own and after several trips to local music shops I think a tenor would be best suited for me to learn. I’m doing a ton of research online since there are no Uke shops around here in the Northeast US and music store offerings tend to be rather poor. I’ll post some questions soon in the beginners or buying tips boards. I’ll leave you with this pic of the newly resurrected Kay Ukelele and some old guy. 😀

-John
Took mom's uke for show and tell. Good times and warm mems! Doesn't get much better than that!

Maybe you should introduce her sooner than later... I can just imagine her saying "What is this tiny guitar thing in the box with Grandpa's ashes?"

Sorry for the morbid humor, but a few of us here are like that...

Welcome to UU!

BTW: Ponos are amazing ukuleles for the price...
A few?

Satan, you say?!?!?!?!
Woah! I just got a flashback of the Church Lady on SNL. ;)

Welcome John. Loved the background story about the uke. Glad that it, and your wife, inspired you to resume your learning to play. It's a great hobby. If you have a ukulele club in your area, I recommend checking it out. Most welcome newbies. It's big fun playing with others.

Have fun!

Welcome! What a great find! Many of us here started uke at an older age, including myself (though I haven't retired yet). It's so much easier to learn these days, with all the YouTube instructors and tutorials. Local store uke pickings can be slim when you're looking to buy, but there are some truly great ukulele specialty stores you can buy from on their websites. For uke reviews, you can't beat GotAUkulele. For excellent sound demos of instruments you can't beat The Ukulele Site. Southern Ukulele Store, and World of Ukes in the UK also have great videos to listen and compare various uke models. They are all excellent uke vendors as well. Enjoy your journey!

Top Bottom