Newbie Question

ldrochester

Reaction score
I purchased three baritone ukulele books, Baritone Ukulele Book 1, by Lil’ Rev, The Big Baritone Ukulele Book, and The Daily Ukulele, Baritone Edition. All three are published by Hal Leonard. However, the notes found in the Daily Ukulele book are in the same octave as the Baritone Uke. The notes in the other two books are an octave higher. Which of these is normal? Why would they do this?

Huh. That sounds frustrating. I wonder if they're written for guitar and they never changed to baritone? Because apparently music for guitar is written an octave higher than that beast is strung. I still can't wrap my brain around that, but there you go. There's a notation that indicates when something should be played an octave lower than written, it looks like the treble clef with a wee teeny 8 at the base of the clef - do you see that? Even if not, that's not proof that they've not done what I'm wondering if they have.

In order to avoid many leger lines, both guitar and baritone uke are often written an octave higher than they sound, so that they may use a treble clef. If written using a bass clef, there would be too many leger lines above the staff and if written using the treble clef there would be too many below. Perhaps an alto clef would work, but traditionally, they are written on a treble staff with or without the little 8. They are transposing instruments like the clarinet or sax.

In order to avoid many leger lines, both guitar and baritone uke are often written an octave higher than they sound, so that they may use a treble clef. If written using a bass clef, there would be too many leger lines above the staff and if written using the treble clef there would be too many below. Perhaps an alto clef would work, but traditionally, they are written on a treble staff with or without the little 8. They are transposing instruments like the clarinet or sax.
Thank goodness. Cello players need to read Bass, Tenor and treble clefs!

So the logical solution would be to include both treble and bass clefs, right? LOL

Top Bottom