NUD #2 Revelator Number Two!

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
NUD #2 Revelator number two! I didn't do a NUD when I got my 1st Revelator but I did review it on the Revelator thread.

Note to self... when you get a great ukulele, stop looking at the newer (or in this case older) models. I couldn't have been more pleased with my 1st Revelator, loved the style and how it is so easy to hold, loved the grains and especially the SOUND! It fast became one of my go to players, . BUT... like keenonuke, I was cruising the prototype Revelators on Reverb and saw what may be the one and only gloss finished Revelator! The way I loved the Korina grains on my other uke I just imagined what they would look like in gloss (the pics didn't really show off the gloss as it's really hard to get gloss to show off in pics!). I contacted Mike at Kala with a bunch of questions, and he patiently answered every one and sent me some pics that showed off the finish better. In the better pics I saw not only how great the grains popped in gloss but also that this piece of Korina was highly flamed (maybe the difference between Premium and Master Grade Korina)! And if that wasn't enough, Mike told me that this neck had a volute on it (I'm a big fan of volutes and even carved one on 1 of the 2 ukes I have personally built), and that Pete himself had carved it. I pulled the trigger even though I knew I'd lose some money on my original Revelator. Like keenonuke said, some of these prototypes have oval abalone fret markers vs. the nautilus shell inlay on the production models. I thought I'd really miss the shell, as it's kind of part of the Revelator "look and style". But once I got this one, I feel like the ovals have a classy look. The only thing I would have liked to be different would be a satin finished neck. But hey, lots of very high end ukes including Collings and even my Chuck Moore have gloss necks.

So what you can't tell in photos is how would the gloss finish change the great voice of these ukes (yes I was worried I would love the look of the gloss and the voice of the satin). Happy to report there is absolutely no difference in voice or volume between the 2. I sent Mike a note when my new Revelator arrived and included lots of feedback with my vast Revelator experience of 2 ukes! I also asked if he wanted me to review it here on UU since it was a one off and not something that can be ordered. And he wrote back and thanked me, as said I could talk about it. Also a plus for me, the Master Grade models typically come with gold tuners and this one has silver which I really prefer on the gloss ebony faceplate. Just personal preference. I should also add that even though this is a prototype, Kala's gloss finish is as good as I've ever seen on a uke! And a side note, the Ko'olau/Pono thin line case fits the Revelator perfectly.

That's about it for my NUD #2. It has really solidified my feelings for this uke. Both of my Revelators have the same great sound and more volume than this body size and shape is supposed to have. As I said on my 1st review, I think this is due to Pete's great design.

PS, did I mention there's a really nice, almost brand new Revelator for sale here on UU? And you can save yourself a few hundred bucks. Ho ho ho!
Pictures anyone?
IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

great sound and more volume than this body size and shape is supposed to have.

That's the thing that amazes me about these. I can easily imagine that they'd sound great amplified with a pickup or three like an electric guitar, but sounding so good as straight acoustic instruments seems impossible! And yet, they really do!

I know that there are people who swear that gloss chokes sound, and sure, for some mid-priced (or lower) instruments where cheap finishes are cheaply applied, I guess (although for most of those instruments, the finish is hardly the biggest issue). But done right, including your examples of Collings and Moore, and I'll add Kanile'a and Pono/Ko'olau that I have experience with, I think the gloss sounds fantastic, and I LOVE the looks!!! I can't imagine anyone looking at your two and saying, "Grain's too clear on that shiny one, gimme the dull one." 🤣 Exaggerated for effect of course -- they're both gorgeous, but my goodness, that gloss one, INSANE.

Thanks for the detailed NUD! (Tips volute in your direction 🎩)

That's the thing that amazes me about these. I can easily imagine that they'd sound great amplified with a pickup or three like an electric guitar, but sounding so good as straight acoustic instruments seems impossible! And yet, they really do!
The passive pickup used in these is clean with good volume as is. Color added by amplification...

Looks good, congrats! Agree on the dots and gold bits ...although I prefer the darker bridge. You can always satin'ize the neck.
Agree on the darker bridge. Makes me wonder since it's satin if it would take some stain...

WHOA. Beautiful. I kind of want one

Top Bottom