New Uke Day (NUD) NUD: Collings UC1 after 3 months of playing, my "one ukulele"

Shaw

Reaction score
I delayed posting this NUD for 3 months while I played and processed the Collings UC1 that I purchased from WestPhillyUke. This was my "holy grail" ukulele and it has also become my "one ukulele", along with being the most expensive musical instrument I've ever owned. In fact, I'm now down to only 2 ukuleles and sincerely thinking about parting with my Romero XS Soprano that I have for travel because I just never play anything except the Collings.

This instrument is everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. There are no unneeded adornments or decorations. All the effort went into creating a beautiful playing and sounding ukulele. Somehow, it feels like a fine orchestral instrument in my hands and inspires me to play and improve my skills and experimentation.

I tried different string combinations and have landed on low G, surprising myself. Specially, I have it strung with the Strings by Mail Custom Customer Concoction that I found recommended in several threads. This set pairs remarkably well with the mellow but projected sound of the mahogany. Here are the specifics:
1st: Savarez Alliance KF 541R - (A) normal tension .0244
2nd: Savarez Alliance KF 542R - (E) normal tension .0272
3rd: Thomastik-Infeld CF27 - 3rd string (C) .027 chrome steel flat wound
4th: Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (Low G) .030 chrome steel flat wound

Here are a few pictures. Note that the label is signed by Bill Collings, which will make it a treasure for years to come.

PXL_20231027_195820347.jpg
PXL_20231027_195751234.jpg
PXL_20231027_195935222.jpg
PXL_20231027_195955038.jpg
PXL_20231027_195800147.MP.jpg
PXL_20231027_195905267.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231027_195912290.jpg
    PXL_20231027_195912290.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like a great buy! You might need another one for high G.

Are the Savarez strings a "fluorocarbon". It says "carbon" and I am unclear what that is.

a great buy! You might need another one for high G.

Are the Savarez strings a "fluorocarbon". It says "carbon" and I am unclear what that is.

Yes, that's correct. They are fluorocarbon, but these are manufactured as classical guitar strings so the description is definitely a bit different than looking at standard ukulele strings. I also did try a set of Savarez ukulele strings on this, since I believe that's what Collings shipped directly from the factory. I have a bit of a bias for Worths over Savarez if you're going full fluorocarbon, but they really balance the Thomastik flat wounds nicely.

Nice uke. Simple and dignified looking.

Congrats. I agree with Voran. No nonsense ukulele!

I delayed posting this NUD for 3 months while I played and processed the Collings UC1 that I purchased from WestPhillyUke. This was my "holy grail" ukulele and it has also become my "one ukulele", along with being the most expensive musical instrument I've ever owned. In fact, I'm now down to only 2 ukuleles and sincerely thinking about parting with my Romero XS Soprano that I have for travel because I just never play anything except the Collings.

This instrument is everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. There are no unneeded adornments or decorations. All the effort went into creating a beautiful playing and sounding ukulele. Somehow, it feels like a fine orchestral instrument in my hands and inspires me to play and improve my skills and experimentation.

I tried different string combinations and have landed on low G, surprising myself. Specially, I have it strung with the Strings by Mail Custom Customer Concoction that I found recommended in several threads. This set pairs remarkably well with the mellow but projected sound of the mahogany. Here are the specifics:
1st: Savarez Alliance KF 541R - (A) normal tension .0244
2nd: Savarez Alliance KF 542R - (E) normal tension .0272
3rd: Thomastik-Infeld CF27 - 3rd string (C) .027 chrome steel flat wound
4th: Thomastik-Infeld CF30 - 4th string (Low G) .030 chrome steel flat wound

Here are a few pictures. Note that the label is signed by Bill Collings, which will make it a treasure for years to come.

View attachment 160242
View attachment 160245
View attachment 160244
View attachment 160243
View attachment 160248
View attachment 160247
The C3 string combination was put together by UU member Hollis Dwyer. I have them on two of my tenors and they sound great. Especially for fingerstyle playing.

Lovely mahogany concert Collings UC1. I think you scored a wonderful instrument that will give you a lifetime of joy.

Enjoy it.

It’s simplicity makes it rather elegant. I like the look, and love how much you are loving on this instrument. :)

Top Bottom