NUD Kiwaya sopranino

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
It's been a while since I have done a NUD post. Although I have had this for a couple weeks I've only recently spent much time with it. "It" is a Kiwaya U-Trip 02 pineapple shaped sopranino made from layered mahogany veneer. I bought this from Matt at World of Ukes, transaction was flawless and it arrived from the UK to Canada in a reasonable time. A special thanks to Graham Greenbag here for making me aware of this instrument and providing a link. It's his fault I bought it😅

It came with soprano gauge strings tuned up to D. I tried that for a while and it was ok I am not use to that tuning so dropped it down to standard GCEA. I liked it and took it over to my playing partner Tim's house for his assessment. He basically said what I thought, it is loud, full and resonant for such a little guy. We both figured the pineapple shape helps to increase the sound out put. I have since changed the strings to a thicker tenor gauge set, Worth Clear. The sound hasn't changed much but the tension is better, not as soft and floppy.

The over all build quality is very very good, especially for a $90.00 instrument. The only issue I have are the tuning machines, they are rough, stiff and vague. But once an instrument is tuned up to pitch I leave it there so just minor adjustments aren't a big deal.

I bought this for it's extra small size to be used for bicycle touring. It should fit the bill but might have to wait until next year as that season is quickly coming to an end due to November in Canada. Here are the required pictures, some showing a size comparison with my Enya soprano pineapple ukulele.

Attachments

• 20221019_153935.jpg
    20221019_153935.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20221019_154318.jpg
    20221019_154318.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221019_155146.jpg
    20221019_155146.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221019_155305.jpg
    20221019_155305.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221019_155559.jpg
    20221019_155559.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sweet! I always love Kiwayas.

Great lookin' little guy, Dave! Love the headstock logo. Also, thanks for the tip on utilizing a tenor-gauge string set to alleviate the "floppiness" factor when tuning a sopranino to gCEA!

It's been a while since I have done a NUD post. Although I have had this for a couple weeks I've only recently spent much time with it. "It" is a Kiwaya U-Trip 02 pineapple shaped sopranino made from layered mahogany veneer. I bought this from Matt at World of Ukes, transaction was flawless and it arrived from the UK to Canada in a reasonable time. A special thanks to Graham Greenbag here for making me aware of this instrument and providing a link. It's his fault I bought it😅

It came with soprano gauge strings tuned up to D. I tried that for a while and it was ok I am not use to that tuning so dropped it down to standard GCEA. I liked it and took it over to my playing partner Tim's house for his assessment. He basically said what I thought, it is loud, full and resonant for such a little guy. We both figured the pineapple shape helps to increase the sound out put. I have since changed the strings to a thicker tenor gauge set, Worth Clear. The sound hasn't changed much but the tension is better, not as soft and floppy.

The over all build quality is very very good, especially for a $90.00 instrument. The only issue I have are the tuning machines, they are rough, stiff and vague. But once an instrument is tuned up to pitch I leave it there so just minor adjustments aren't a big deal.

I bought this for it's extra small size to be used for bicycle touring. It should fit the bill but might have to wait until next year as that season is quickly coming to an end due to November in Canada. Here are the required pictures, some showing a size comparison with my Enya soprano pineapple ukulele.
Very nice! Be sure to post pictures of your sopranissimo when you get it. 😁

Thanks for mentioning the nut-width factor, Badhabits. I wasn't aware of that. Hmmm... what is that strange itch I'm starting to feel...? :)
big difference... my Ohana TPK was 33.5mm and U-trips 35mm with string spacings comparable or more than some of my concerts! (someone compared these 2 elsewhere on this forum ;))

Admit it, Bill. You want a DINKY li’l uke!
Hahahahahahaha! Okay, Patty, I did not see that coming at all!

(UU friends, I made a wisecrack a couple of weeks ago about Patty's use of the word "dinky" in one of her posts, and she good-naturedly responded that she'd try to incorporate the word into future posts. So, it appears payback has begun... :D )

But seriously, Patty, I love a sopranino uke, and have had a couple, but made disposition of them. I often think about grabbing another!
"Film at eleven..."

So glad it worked out they way you desired Dave. A big enticement now, quite thrilled that you were able to find strong tune it to gcea. Makes me want one even more.

Hahahahahahaha! Okay, Patty, I did not see that coming at all!

(UU friends, I made a wisecrack a couple of weeks ago about Patty's use of the word "dinky" in one of her posts, and she good-naturedly responded that she'd try to incorporate the word into future posts. So, it appears payback has begun... :D )

But seriously, Patty, I love a sopranino uke, and have had a couple, but made disposition of them. I often think about grabbing another!
"Film at eleven..."
Sounds like you have a few choices:
1- Kiwaya U-trip-01
2- Kiwaya U-trip-02
3- keep dreaming 😀

Great to see an international dealer selling Kiwayas for close to the Japan retail prices. I've seen some USA dealers trying to sell this exact model for double the Japan price, which really ruins the value of ukuleles at this quality level.

Sounds like you have a few choices:
1- Kiwaya U-trip-01
2- Kiwaya U-trip-02
3- keep dreaming 😀
Hahahaha! Thanks, BH! It's funny, sometimes I find it's almost more fun to stay in "dream" mode than to actually pull the proverbial trigger!
On the other hand, I ain't gettin' any younger... 😁

Great lookin' little guy, Dave! Love the headstock logo. Also, thanks for the tip on utilizing a tenor-gauge string set to alleviate the "floppiness" factor when tuning a sopranino to gCEA!
Yeah, I like that logo. Same one as the Famous gig bag that my thinline FS-0 came in.

20221102_213049.jpg

An update on the little guy............it is now low G, please don't hate me. The one thing that bugged me, even with string changes was the #3 string was always a bit thuddy. So I switched to a wound third D'Addario Silver wound .026 size and it sounded great. Then my brain said "hey you got sopranos in low G let's see if this will work" it did, surprisingly well. I put on the D'Addario Silver wound in size .030 and the tension and tone is good, for what it is but I like it.

Took it to the uke jam last night and showed the leader, it also has a thin leather shoe lace as a strap. He said the only away I could "deface" it more as a ukulele was to use a pic and play some heavy metal. It's all good fun.........that's ukulele

20230509_053717.jpg20230509_053705.jpg

Top Bottom