NUD: Ohana Do-It-Yourself ukulele

eternal tinkerer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My 4yo wanted a ukulele, so I paired that request with the idea of getting some finishing work practice and ordering up an Ohana DIY pineapple concert ukulele. The body is made entirely of laminated mahogany and comes with the neck and fretboard already installed.

Amongst the various fruit possibilities we considered, my son likes (and eats) watermelon the most. After reshaping the headstock and rounding the body edges, I let go with Tamiya hobby lacquer sprays, Stewart MacDonald clear guitar lacquer, a lot of finishing papers, and some buffing compound. The stock tuners I pitched in favor of Grover stay-tite gold versions. Finally strung with Martin M620 fluorocarbon strings (high-G), this humidity-impervious (?) uke actually rings above expectation. It’s bright, resonant, and loud!

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    993.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    932.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    834.9 KB · Views: 42
Thanks! I have gained a deeper appreciation for the luthiers who have made my other musical instruments.

My 4yo wanted a ukulele, so I paired that request with the idea of getting some finishing work practice and ordering up an Ohana DIY pineapple concert ukulele. The body is made entirely of laminated mahogany and comes with the neck and fretboard already installed.

Amongst the various fruit possibilities we considered, my son likes (and eats) watermelon the most. After reshaping the headstock and rounding the body edges, I let go with Tamiya hobby lacquer sprays, Stewart MacDonald clear guitar lacquer, a lot of finishing papers, and some buffing compound. The stock tuners I pitched in favor of Grover stay-tite gold versions. Finally strung with Martin M620 fluorocarbon strings (high-G), this humidity-impervious (?) uke actually rings above expectation. It’s bright, resonant, and loud!
Beautiful work!

Wow! That came out really nice!

Hell of a job, I have considered getting one of these kits, I just don’t think I’d have the time to finish. Yours looks great!

Top Bottom