Nui strings

Papa John

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know this subject has been hashed over before, but I thought I'd relay my experiences. I seem to have acquired a bunch of these over time, only to sell them on. I have nice baritone ukuleles and I wanted the nui to sound more like a guitar. It was always a little too close to a baritone ukulele for my taste.
I have tried lots of string sets on the Pono's and I don't think there is a set better than what I'm using now.
These are all available as singles. I tune DGBE.
For the 4th string, the best D I've found is the D'Addario J4404 .030 extra hard tension silverplated wound. The 23" scale lowers the tension on this classical guitar string a bit and the playability is nice and comfortable.
For a wound G string, I use the GHS 9423 .023.
For the B and E strings, I'm sold on the Thomastik-Infeld wound nylon w/rope core .016 and .024.
For my 8 string nui, I use the Thomastik-Infeld .016 tuned down to D for the octave along with a .025 G.
The net result is a Nui that nobody will think is a baritone ukulele and is loud, bright and clear with tons of sustain. You can bend notes like a steel string too.

Thanks John. Fascinating. Have you tried this combo on a baritone? What are your thoughts?

Thanks John. Fascinating. Have you tried this combo on a baritone? What are your thoughts?
the Thomastik-Infeld's need about 22.5" scale or more imho. I've got them on my Republic 22.5 scale length resonator as well. They drive the 10" cone just fine.

Last edited:
the Thomastik-Infeld's need about 22.5" scale or more imho. I've got them on my Republic 22.5 scale length resonator as well. They drive the 10" cone just fine.
Hi John. I recently acquired a BN-2 that I've been searching forever for.

I also am looking for a guitar sound on the NUI. Would this set also work for a low D tuning? If not, what would you suggest?

I'm happy with the 2 Thomastik-Infelds, .016 and .024 for the B and E along with a D'addario .030 #J4404 D and a GHS .023 #9434 wound G. I use this set-up on both 4 string nui's as well as my 8 string, adding a .025 T-I for the G.
Interestingly...if you want a higher tension, the .024 will tune up to E and the .025 will go to B and survive.
My latest use of the T-I strings is a Royall resonator tenor with 25" scale... .024 and .025 stretched to B and E along with the other 2. really loud with a nice, wide neck, similar to a nui.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the 2 Thomastik-Infelds, .016 and .024 for the B and E along with a D'addario .030 #J4404 D and a GHS .023 #9434 wound G. I use this set-up on both 4 string nui's as well as my 8 string, adding a .025 T-I for the G.
Interestingly...if you want a higher tension, the .024 will tune up to E and the .025 will go to B and survive.
My latest use of the T-I strings is a Royall resonator tenor with 25" scale... .024 and .025 stretched to B and E along with the other 2. really loud with a nice, wide neck, similar to a nui.
For some reason I didn't get notified when you replied and I kept wondering where you went to. Thank you! Will order these tomorrow.

Will the D'addario .030 D work in low D tuning?
D'addario .030 #J4404 D

Just wanting to make sure I have these correct. When you have a moment, do you mind checking these out? Would be very, very appreciative :)

D: https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-pro-arte-j4404-4th-string-d-extra-hard-tension-030-3224.html ( Wanting to tune this low D)

G: https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-la-classique-9434-4th-string-d-031-winter-silver-wound-3065.html (is this the correct string? Could not find a .023)

B: https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...ng-e-016-nylon-tape-wound-rope-core-2490.html

E: https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...ng-b-024-nylon-tape-wound-rope-core-2491.html

Papa John - Thank you! I purchased a Pono BN4-1 (cedar/acacia) over Thanksgiving 2023. Loved the Uke, but not the 'factory' sound. Your string advice was transformative! I joined the Ukulele Underground to specifically thank you for sharing your experience. Just ordered my 2nd set of 'your' strings, as a backup. Now my Pono BN4-1 sounds like the 'guitar' I always wanted. They even look like 'real' guitar strings - no thick translucent plastic visible! Beautiful. Thanks again.

Attachments

• New Strings Pono BN4-1, 20Mar2024.jpg
    New Strings Pono BN4-1, 20Mar2024.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom