Oh no! Not another (moveable) chord chart.

Low-G

Reaction score
In the dark days of winter I have been cheering myself up by playing through Glen Rose's Jazzy Ukulele Work Books.

I learned a lot about the harmonic structure of the Great American Song Book, but when applying what I had learned (e.g. half-diminished chords, how to voice chords with more than 4 notes on the uke), I was flipping through published chord books endlessly.

So, I did what many others have done before, and made myself some moveable chord charts – i.e. generic chord shapes. Not every possible chord, but all (I hope!) the useful ones.

Rather than just keep them on my desk, I thought I'd publish them in the most obscure place I could find: my Renaissance Ukulele Blog.

So that the charts don't lurk forever in the ancient gloom, I thought you might like to have a look at them here. I know there are many of these charts available, but I thought these might be useful to other learners like me.

Fingers crossed that I haven't made any mistakes, and that I'm not treading on anyone's toes!

Nice!

Thanks for IDing which note is which (root, 3rd, 5th, etc.)! That helps me greatly, and I haven't found any charts that did that (it seems obviously useful enough that I'm sure they're out there, but they've evaded my searches). I've been drawing up my own, but just touched the more basic chords and haven't gotten nearly as deep as yours.

Glad you like the charts. I thought that probably the best way to understanding is to work things out for oneself. And it's often quicker than wading through the www!

Looks neat! I will try these and see how I can use them, and thanks for both creating and sharing this! :)

I've not looked for any uke versions of the "Great American Songbook" - is there a specific collection published as a single music book with them all together that you like?

I have some old Fake Books, but the are very bare-bones, and more like just the chord names, measure marks and any coda/repeat marks, I guess meant for veteran jazz players that don't need no stinkin notation of any kind LOL. But something more detailed would be more useful...

...Joe: I found this resource online:
UKULELE CHORD MELODY SONGBOOK Compiled and arranged by Spencer Gay. If the link doesn't work let me know. It has 270 songs: words, music, chords, tabs, chord windows all arranged for uke.
Happy plonking
Harry

WOW! That's just perfect!

Thank you so much for finding this and sharing the link here:)

It's like getting two musical gifts in a row from you now !

If you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I am using these in my music study and practice :music: LOL

Great job on the diagrams. I found one misplaced blue dot on the second m6 shape. The blue dot on the A string should be on the E string instead. I tried to post this as a comment on the blog page but the web ate my post.

Mahalo nui for sharing this!

Many thanks, LimuHead, for your eagle eye. I am very grateful to you for taking the trouble to write. I will make the appropriate edit. I hope that's the only boob!
All best wishes
Harry

Top Bottom