Replacing Pono Tuners

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have an older Pono mahogany tenor that I just love and play regularly. I've noticed that the tuners have gotten harder to turn and make creaking sounds like there is grit or sand in them. I'd like to replace them with new high quality tuners but I'm not sure how to go about it and whether I'll need to alter existing holes. Suggestions on really good tuners would also be appreciated.

Are the tuners open gear Derjung tuners………basically Grover copies? I have a 7 year old Pono with these. They look like Grover’s……..one set of Ho,egs lines up. The other is a simple drill……..plate covers the old whole. They are just slightly off. I have the Grover’s to replace mine….just haven’t got around to doing it.

you can go to planetary tuners ..Pegheds, Gotoh or Graphtech but then you will need to fill old Ho,egs with dowel, sand and co,or……..depends on what you want to do,

Have you tried to pull them apart and clean them?

Open geared tuners are not hard to disassemble and clean, so long as you take some photos so you know how they go together and you carefully keep track of the components. If there is grit in the tuners, you can clean it out. You can also check the gears for wear.

This may save you the effort and cost to get new tuners.
This works, did it with tuners on an outdoor that were very gritty. I‘d suggest disassembling one at time, if you might be unsure as to how they go back together. and you can even do it with the back plates still installed on the headstock, no need to remove the entire tuner from your ukulele.

Last edited:
Great suggestion. I’m going to try that myself and I will report back. Thanks badhabits. What oil should be used on the gears? 3 in q oil or WD40 or graphite powder. I think I have graphite powder……not sure I want to use WD40. I’d have to buy 3 in 1 oil to do that …..suggestions.

I don't use any oil... just clean thoroughly, an air can or small soft brush work great for cleaning parts and getting into grooves/gear teeth.

I watched a few video from guitar techs…and they seem to suggest for open geared tuners to use petroleum gel with a Q tip. use a LITTLE only on the gears. If you need to clean up naphtha solvent. Also, shown on Stew Mac site. I may give it a try but First may try the graphite powder!

Won't a lube attract dust etc. or at least allow it to stick to parts?

Common sense say Yes, but I’ve checked a lot of guitar sites. key with PG is to not put too much on, wipe away excess! I‘lol try my graphite powder first. I use it on squeaky door hinges! LOL. If that doesn’t work, I’ll clean off, get a Q tip as recommended in videos and dabbing a very little PG on the tuner!

Thanks for all the replies.

I took off the old tuners and decided to try replacing them. I got a set of Grovers and installed them, leaving rather than replacing, the metal sleeves embedded in the headstock. It seems to have worked out fine and the new tuners are working smoothly without noise or the need for high turning force.

Thanks for all the replies.

I took off the old tuners and decided to try replacing them. I got a set of Grovers and installed them, leaving rather than replacing, the metal sleeves embedded in the headstock. It seems to have worked out fine and the new tuners are working smoothly without noise or the need for high turning force.
cool. Now you can try to clean up the old tuners and maybe have a spare set!

Top Bottom