Southcoast MUW3 v. Unwound C String Set for Concert Ukes: Video Comparison

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hello All, for those of you curious about wound C strings, especially on Concert ukes, here is a video comparison I put together of my before strings without a wound C (not Southcoast Strings), and then with Southcoast MUW3 strings using the wound C. (NOTE these are not "CONCERT STRINGS" they are MUW3's which can go on other ukes but Dirk suggested these for what I was discussing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVhplcDLmg

If you have a concert and notice the C string is thuddy, dull, not a lot of resonance, give a wound C a shot and hear the difference. You may be pleasantly suprised. Each uke of course is different in as many ways as opinions, but it does seem with concert scale ukes in particular I have seen this issue much more than Tenors. Luckily none of my tenors have this issue.

My Collings came with a wound C when I bought it (now I know why) and when I put on unwound sets (tried many kinds) the C string just didn't have that pronounced sustain I was looking for.

Now if Southcoast could make their wounds like Fremont Polished and Squeekless Low G's for near zero finger noise, I'd be flying to Louisiana to give Dirk a big hug! Still fantastic strings. This is my second uke with a different SC set of strings. Both with amazing results. Thanks Dirk! (actually, the Fremont is very close, so it's not a big deal and if you are playing with chords, it's neglible to where unless you look for it, you can't hear it).

Last edited:
Hello All, for those of you curious about wound C strings, especially on Concert ukes, here is a video comparison I put together of my before strings without a wound C (not Southcoast Strings), and then with Southcoast MUW3 strings using the wound C.

If you have a concert and notice the C string is thuddy, dull, not a lot of resonance, give a wound C a shot and hear the difference. You may be pleasantly suprised. Each uke of course is different in as many ways as opinions, but it does seem with concert scale ukes in particular I have seen this issue much more than Tenors. Luckily none of my tenors have this issue.

My Collings came with a wound C when I bought it (now I know why) and when I put on unwound sets (tried many kinds) the C string just didn't have that pronounced sustain I was looking for.

Now if Southcoast could make their wounds like Fremont Polished and Squeekless Low G's for near zero finger noise, I'd be flying to Louisiana to give Dirk a big hug! Still fantastic strings. This is my second uke with a different SC set of strings. Both with amazing results. Thanks Dirk!

I believe he does. I hope you got a lot of free miles. haha. give him a hug for me.

Thanks Jay. Great review and demo. I can clearly hear the resonace in the wound C. I've learned more about strings from Dirk than anyone else. You're taking the time to demo the two really added to it.

Thanks Patrick. I hope it helps people. When I started year ago, I steered clear of wound strings and I don't know why, buy now I'm leaning toward them. I think they bring out what I am looking for out of the sound of my ukes.

Thanks Jay. Great review and demo. I can clearly hear the resonace in the wound C. I've learned more about strings from Dirk than anyone else. You're taking the time to demo the two really added to it.

Hello All, for those of you curious about wound C strings, especially on Concert ukes, here is a video comparison I put together of my before strings without a wound C (not Southcoast Strings), and then with Southcoast MUW3 strings using the wound C. (NOTE these are not "CONCERT STRINGS" they are MUW3's which can go on other ukes but Dirk suggested these for what I was discussing).

Now if Southcoast could make their wounds like Fremont Polished and Squeekless Low G's for near zero finger noise, I'd be flying to Louisiana to give Dirk a big hug! Still fantastic strings. This is my second uke with a different SC set of strings. Both with amazing results. Thanks Dirk! (actually, the Fremont is very close, so it's not a big deal and if you are playing with chords, it's neglible to where unless you look for it, you can't hear it).

Hey Jay

the SC and Fremont Soloist LowG the same string right?

I also wish they could do a polished flatwound C string like the Fremont Soloist...Dirk has a response on your other SC string thread a couple days ago...

Howdy, Yes I have a wound low G and C from SC on my tenor and now a wound C on my concert (different string sets, MUW3 on my concert and MLSW on my tenor). I'll check out the post. Yes the Fremont doesn't squeek but the SC's do a little, but if your playing chord/melody and picking the melody or playing a lot of chords and strumming, you definitely don't hear it very much unless you are playing quietly and slide up a few frets. It's really something I hear if I pay attention but once i start playing, I don't really hear it any more. I still wouldn't switch the strings now because they really play fantastic and my figure tips are pretty tough so wound strings don't bother me at all.

Do you know if Fremont has a wound C? I have only seen a polished gold low G we are using. If Fremont could make a polished wound C like their G, those would be the wounds to beat in my opinion.
And if Dirk ever makes a wound G and C just like the Fremont's then he'd clean up in my opinion as he can offer the complete set where Fremont just sells a string (or 2 strings if they ever did a C).

I'm meeting another Uker flying into SF in a few weeks who is bringing me Oasis strings, which I don't believe have wounds. I have put a Fremont Low G on every uke I have now just about except for the one I just put the Southcoasts on and they sound fantastic so I'm leaving good alone.

It's a string eat string world out there ;'-)

Hey Jay

I also wish they could do a polished flatwound C string like the Fremont Soloist...Dirk has a response on your other SC string thread a couple days ago...

Hey Len

What took you so long to respond? Anytime there is mention of SC Low G on a thread, a mention of Fremont will follow!! HAHA

Hey Jay

Top Bottom