Strap Ergonomics For Muscle Pain

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have mentioned it a few times, so I won't go into the specifics again, but I'm disabled and have a hard time using a normal strap. Holding the ukulele without a strap isn't possible for me, unless I'm sitting and can rest the weight in my lap.

I found a few different products that seem like they might help. When I wear a normal strap, most of the weight gets put right where my neck and shoulder meet, which causes muscle pain in that location. Does anyone else have similar problems, and what type of strap do you use to alleviate it? When I've worn the strap for long enough for it to start hurting, I prop my left arm up with a pillow, and that's quite helpful, but I can't take a pillow with me everywhere I go lol.

A couple I found:

For people who have used these products, how much did you like them, specifically in the sense of how ergonomic they are? Do any of you use other types of straps that I haven't found yet?

Edit: Another thing that would be important for me: which product would be best suited for sitting, and which would be best suited for standing?

Last edited:
Not sure how heavy your uke is but if that’s enough to cause problems maybe try a soft strap that’s 2” wide so distribute the weight evenly.

Not sure how heavy your uke is but if that’s enough to cause problems maybe try a soft strap that’s 2” wide so distribute the weight evenly.
The main one I play came with closed gear tuners, which I regret getting. Makes the headstock too heavy. Based on a review I found, the weight is 635g or 1.4 lbs.

My strap is 1.5" wide.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of the uke leash style because it puts pressure right on the back of my neck, and imo feels worse than a regular strap.

If you get a proper strap with plenty of length, you don't have to put it over your shoulder. You can strap it to your lats/rib cage. I don't know if that would be any better for pain management but it is an option.

There's also extra wide ones with air, gel, or foam padding. Can anyone weigh in on those? Example: https://a.co/d/8kmp5bR
Try putting a small folded towel underneath the portion of the strap where it hurts. It could be an inexpensive, portable solution to your problem, if the extra padding helps mitigate the pain. (And would work well for both sitting or standing.)

I have nerve damage to my neck spinal cord from radiation treatments for cancer many years ago. Without those nerves, my neck and shoulder muscles are completely atrophied, can't hold up my head, and I can't wear a strap over my shoulder at all, very painful. I always sit when playing my tenor and bass ukes.

For my bass ukes, I moved the strap button from the heal of the neck to the end of the headstock so that the strap goes around my back. That has been working for me, but the leather straps I use are difficult to adjust. A post I saw showed an easily adjustable strap from Levy Leathers that I just started using, and it works very well. I also got one for my tenor ukes that I had shortened today, and will try it out with the strap button at the heal of the neck. If that's not comfortable enough, I will move the strap buttons to the end of the headstock too.

I've found that moving the strap to the headstock, (and between the tuners rather than at the nut), to keep the strap off my neck. You might try experimenting with various locations for the strap and see if that helps you at all. I hope that you find a comfortable solution.

You mention that you can play comfortably without strap when seated. So why stand if you don't perform or have to stand in front of a group to lead and instruct them. I have to admit that I also perform and lead seated and no one complains about it.

You mention that you can play comfortably without strap when seated. So why stand if you don't perform or have to stand in front of a group to lead and instruct them. I have to admit that I also perform and lead seated and no one complains about it.
That's what I've been doing, but I've been trying to wear a strap to keep the ukulele in a more proper posture. Normally I play with the fretboard significantly angled toward my face, and I've been playing long enough to realize that that is a big detriment to my ability to play accurately and quickly. I think I've kind of given up on my current strap. Might get a better one, but for now I'm just resting all of the ukulele weight on my hip bone and sitting up extra straight.

Not sure what proper posture might mean for Uke. For a classical guitar player this is well defined, but for steel string guitar it is very different. For Uke it's probably to keep it high and cradled in right arm. I come from steel string guitar that I rest on right leg but uke is too small for this so I shift it to the left leg and angle up a bit but not as rigid as a classical guitar player does.

Not sure what proper posture might mean for Uke. For a classical guitar player this is well defined, but for steel string guitar it is very different. For Uke it's probably to keep it high and cradled in right arm. I come from steel string guitar that I rest on right leg but uke is too small for this so I shift it to the left leg and angle up a bit but not as rigid as a classical guitar player does.
By proper posture, all I really mean is having the fretboard pointing away from me, instead of angled like 45° at my face. My uke has dots on the side of the neck, which should be enough once I get used to using them.

I wish I could just rest it on my leg like a guitar, but you're right it's too small.

Last edited:
A few ideas:

A. Seated players can raise ukuleles for better comfort using a small cushion, or a block of foam from the craft store or upholstery shop. To fit in the case under the ukulele neck, use a long shape that can be bunched into a good shape for use.

B. There are portable devices such as the NeckUp.

C. Player comfort:
. Extend the headstock towards the fretting knee. Fretting hand forwards is more natural than sidewards.
. Raise the neck from horizontal towards 45*
. Place the tail end towards your side ribs to reduce affects of belly and boobage.

D. Lighten the work of the fretting arm by attaching the strap to the headstock (use shoelace) instead of the neck button.

E. Lighten the headstock by switching to lighter tuners. My favourites are GraphTech Ratio at 5grams each or 20 grams!! (3/4 ounce) for a set of four. Best price is ordered through the music store. There are installation discussions on the forum.

F. Some mandolin and open back banjo players use straps on the strumming shoulder only, by inserting the strumming arm into the strap loop.

G. Some players of heavy instruments such as electric guitars and resonator banjos distribute weight by using wide straps (some with lambs wool padding). Straps they are wide only at the shoulder pad will weigh less.

H. Some less sturdy (petite) players reduce fatigue by unstrapping frequently.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom