Strum to picking

Sam C.

Reaction score
On some songs it sounds good to pick the notes with my thumb, but then sometimes I will have to pick two notes and once, like the A and G string.

I always have trouble going from a thumb picking to a double note picking style. I like to play with my thumb a little up on the neck which makes it hard to then do a quick double pick.

Anyone have any good suggestions to make those kind of switchs easier?

anything you're finding difficult it's usually just a matter of practice. i know that answer kinda sucks, but it's true.
practice picking with not just your thumb, even if it can be done that way, so that when you do have to use your fingers as well, you will find it easier. don't limit yourself by only sticking with what you're comfortable with.

Try plucking the G string with your thumb and the A string with a finger (at the same time). It is really rather fun! If there is another note following on the A string, try alternating your fingers. For example: index for note one and middle for note after, then back to index (or you could go to the ring finger), and you will be able to eventually go faster than if you double pluck with the same finger.
That is what they do in classical guitar fingering.
–Lori

Top Bottom