Uke Fests - How Do They Work?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I can't imagine how uke fests work financially. In most cases, those attending usually pay a modest amount to attend. When we get there, we're treated to world-class uke players giving us instruction and playing for us. Are they being paid? Does it cover their air fare, hotel, meals, profit? There is also the cost of renting the facility, not to mention miscellaneous expenses. I know they have sponsors, but I still can't understand how all this works. Any ideas?

What's beginning to scare me is uke fests with an admission charge of hundreds of dollars. Funky Frets and the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree put on the best events for a reasonable price.

EDIT: How about four days in Nashville for $2,200? This covers classes and concerts. For that price, I'd want transportation, hotel, and meals to be included. I see that lunches and dinners are included. If uke fests are going to become millionaire events, count me out.

Last edited:
I just about had an aneurysm thinking about trying to save up all that money.

Ok admitted, my extensive arsenal of different ukuleles may have something to do with that lol

Here in Canada most community based musical events are based on a big volunteer effort. This effort also includes fundraising activities such as finding corporate or government sponsors, donations and auctions, and organizing concerts and other supporting events. User fees are usually only contributing a small proportion of the cost.

If the festival pays the talent, then it almost certainly has to secure grants from arts-funding agencies and foundations, along with corporate sponsorships. Same for those at nice conference facilities. You also have to cover costs of security, power, tents, PAs, etc.

I know several festivals cap attendance so they don’t have to move to larger spaces and increase admission prices.

If you want to attract talent with a national/global following, you gotta pay ‘em.

There’s a daylong festival near Charleston, South Carolina, that charges about $25 IIRC, but it’s at a state park and its essentially space for a few bands who play for free (or very little) and some open mics.

I can't imagine how uke fests work financially. In most cases, those attending usually pay a modest amount to attend. When we get there, we're treated to world-class uke players giving us instruction and playing for us. Are they being paid? Does it cover their air fare, hotel, meals, profit? There is also the cost of renting the facility, not to mention miscellaneous expenses. I know they have sponsors, but I still can't understand how all this works. Any ideas?

What's beginning to scare me is uke fests with an admission charge of hundreds of dollars. Funky Frets and the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree put on the best events for a reasonable price.

EDIT: How about four days in Nashville for $2,200? This covers classes and concerts. For that price, I'd want transportation, hotel, and meals to be included. I see that lunches and dinners are included. If uke fests are going to become millionaire events, count me out.
Very few working musicians will travel without being reimbursed and paid a performance fee. We were lucky enough to get David “Ukester Brown” Remiger to run a workshop and do a show at our jam, and we paid him (and passed the hat the get the money). He happened to be attending a wedding nearby that week; otherwise we couldn’t have done it. It was fantastic, btw.

There was a ukulele festival here in Sonoma county... I think it happened twice. It was held in a low cost city owned venue and I think Kala kicked in some money. Covid killed it off, I think... but not making any money might have been part of the problem, too. There were some good players and bands, plus workshops. It was fun!

I hope it comes back...

Here in the Los Angeles area (Torrence) is the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival on a Saturday in September, spearheaded by @Mitch Chang. He gets all the top notch players that both perform on the outdoor and indoor stages, and conduct workshops in various rooms in the Torrence Civic Center complex. I know that the festival gets a good number of sponsors, so tickets for the day are only $45 for full access. Hundreds of people attend, and there's a concert the Friday evening before for an additional charge.

Top Bottom