uku bass with no compartment on back (changing strings)

pegotico

Reaction score
Hi!

I have noticed that many of the cheaper Uku bass like the Kmise don't have a compartment on back that will let you access the strings when changing them. How difficult does this make the process and is it even possible for people with big hands?

thanks!

It's a bit trickier, but it shouldn't be a big deal if you have a round sound hole. Trying to fish through an F hole would be less fun.

Rather than going from the inside out, you can go from the outside in. Untie or snip the knot / clip off the end of the string, feed the string down through the top, and then wiggle it around until you can pull the end out of the sound hole to re-tie or clip.

Hemostats are your friends for manipulating strings through the sound hole. Dental mirrors can help you see where to grab.

--Rob

I have recently changed strings on mine, which also does not have a compartment (but does have a round soundhole), and it was no problem at all. Even with my big hands, So the compartment probably makes it easier, but it is certanly not impossible without it.

I have recently changed strings on mine, which also does not have a compartment (but does have a round soundhole), and it was no problem at all. Even with my big hands, So the compartment probably makes it easier, but it is certanly not impossible without it.
Thanks!!

I use a stiff wire down into the bridge holes, catch it in the sound hole, tape the end of the string to it and pull it up through the bridge hole. (I call it a bass uke.)

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I use a stiff wire down into the bridge holes, catch it in the sound hole, tape the end of the string to it and pull it up through the bridge hole. (I call it a bass uke.)

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Sounds like a great idea! :)

Needle and thread...drop the needle into the string hole, stick it firmly into the end of the string and carefully pull it back through. Don't cut the knob off the end of Pahoehoes, you'll never be able to get a knot to hold.

Top Bottom