• Both - Mid/side setup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both - Røde closer to uke SE closer to vocals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Just curious what you guys would go for.

I have:
  • two condenser microphones, both bought second hand at a reasobale price, a Røde NT3 and a SE2200a
  • one "real" mic stand, and one table mic stand.
  • An interface that allows me to use both if I choose.

I am not recording an album or something like that, just YouTube videos for the "Seasons of the Ukulele" challenge. Just some gear aquisition syndrome that hit me last year :LOL: .
So I will record video on a camera, and sync it with live recording of ukulele and vocals played at the same time.

What would you go for?

The SE2200a has a 1" membrane, the Røde NT3 a 3/4" membrane.
The SE2200 has a shockmount and a noise screen to mount it in. This is all very nice, but makes it hard to place the camera so it is not in my face. Especially if I were to place it 30 cm / 1ft for my mouth when recording.
The Røde is pointed pencil style towards the source, and takes up less space that way.

But which gives the better sound?
I dont trust my own ears to make the call. Also, some adjustment in settings i havent thought of might make a difference.

Edit:
Using one mic I would place it about 60 cm /2ft from both sources. Using two I would probably want them each 30 cm from their source, but havent managed that video vice.
I have no idea if a mid/side setup even makes sense for a recording with vocals in it.

Last edited:
I don't know about either of these mics but I have been overthinking this sort of thing myself lately... I've quite enjoyed playing around with two condenser mics, one panned hard left and the other panned hard right. I've tried all sorts of variations. Currently I'm trying this setup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique with a pair of AT2020s and it seems to be working pretty well. At least, I like how it sounds. One thing I've discovered (well, okay, one thing I was warned might be a problem) is that you can get some pretty bad phase cancellation if you're not careful. I verified this by deliberately trying to put the mics in exactly the place that give the effect...

Anyway, not really answering the question, just saying that for a nerd like me it's lots of fun to play around and see what kinds of effects you can get with two mics.

Top Bottom