Why not use nail clippers?

I clip, then file. After filing, use of the clipper becomes irrelavent The cost of diamond nail files has come down over the years and I wouldn't use anything else..coarse one side, fine the other.

Bite your nails then use a clipper to tidy them up. Hey we are primates after all!

This is what I do, too. I've experimented with only filing, and for me it seems to make things worse - I have the kind of nails that split in layers, and the top layers peel off. Filing as much as is necessary to take off length seems to cause more splitting than does clipping, then filing just to smooth.

That is exactly why you are not supposed to file your nails. I don't know who told the poster of this that you aren't supposed to use nail clippers but files can mess up the nails a lot more just like this person posted about. it is actually a lot healthier to clip the nails and use the file to shape them and nails are not supposed to be sawed (filed back and forth) but filed only toward the center. I went to school for this so I know what i'm talking about. :) (cosmetologist)

also, clip only side to center if you want to get technical about it. :)

Wow.. I never really put much thought about this before... I use a big toe clipper for my fingers and usually go side, side, top to get a slight tip for my thumb, and just side/side for everything else. I might experiment with a file... it seems much more controllable... interesting lol

This is interesting. I have pretty much used clippers all my playing life both decades of guitar, and a decade of playing ukulele. I guess I just have tough nails as they don't split or have the other conditions mentioned.

My wife owns an heirloom Kamaka Soprano that bears the marks of many of her Aunties playing it over the years, it's gouged in all the favorite vamp positions and while it may be a bit ugly to the purist, it tells a tale of much Kanikapila and good times in many backyards...

To clip, or not to clip: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous clipping,
Or to take files against a sea of nails,
And by opposing end them? To file: to clip
No more; and by a file to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That nails are heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To clip, to file;
To file some more: perchance to clip: ay, there's the rub;
For in that clip of nail what dreams may come
When we have clipped off this mortal nail,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long a nail.

ps: I use whatever is handy, and only use my teeth as a last resort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom