PDA

View Full Version : Angle of bone bridge on a Pono MCD

Steve in Kent
08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
I have just bought a 2nd hand Pono MCD that was strung left handed.

I have now strung it right handed and have noticed that the bone bridge has a slight angle to it.

It slopes down from the g to the E string, not a lot, but it does.

Just wondered if anyone know if this is the right way or did the guy who strung it left handed change it round?

Thanks,

Steve

Mattyukaholic
08-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Funny, the Pono AS I had had a sloped saddle highest at G. I didn't like the saddle at all and changed it to a bone saddle from eBay. It sounded so much better with the new one.

anthonyg
08-26-2014, 01:19 AM
This is normal. The thicker strings usually need more height from the fretboard as they vibrate through a greater range and the thinner strings can be lower to the fretboard as they vibrate through a reduced range. The reentrant string confuses this a little yet its still more or less, the right way to do it.

Anthony

Steve in Kent
08-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Funny, the Pono AS I had had a sloped saddle highest at G. I didn't like the saddle at all and changed it to a bone saddle from eBay. It sounded so much better with the new one.

The MCD has a bone saddle fitted from new, fortunately.

Steve in Kent
08-26-2014, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, I know he didn't change the nut in any way, so I guess he didn't change the saddle either.

Mattyukaholic
08-26-2014, 03:42 AM
I got mine second hand so perhaps someone had messed with it. The action was so low there was buzzing and the A string was touching frets. I also think the saddle was plastic. Maybe someone tried to lower the action and messed it up. With the new saddle it sounded glorious.

FrankB
08-26-2014, 08:15 AM
The bridge is the wood piece glued to the soundboard, and the saddle is the bone/plastic portion that the strings cross over. An angle in the bridge slot would have been a problem, but a new saddle is a simple job. I have my uke and guitar saddle sloping downward from bass to treble, so you're probably fine.

Not all bone is the same, and I've had blanks that melted when given a stern glance, and others that were hard as quartz. A good fit along the bottom can make a big difference as well.