Angle of bone bridge on a Pono MCD

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2nd hand Pono MCD that was strung left handed.

I have now strung it right handed and have noticed that the bone bridge has a slight angle to it.

It slopes down from the g to the E string, not a lot, but it does.

Just wondered if anyone know if this is the right way or did the guy who strung it left handed change it round?

Thanks,

Steve

Funny, the Pono AS I had had a sloped saddle highest at G. I didn't like the saddle at all and changed it to a bone saddle from eBay. It sounded so much better with the new one.

This is normal. The thicker strings usually need more height from the fretboard as they vibrate through a greater range and the thinner strings can be lower to the fretboard as they vibrate through a reduced range. The reentrant string confuses this a little yet its still more or less, the right way to do it.

Anthony

I got mine second hand so perhaps someone had messed with it. The action was so low there was buzzing and the A string was touching frets. I also think the saddle was plastic. Maybe someone tried to lower the action and messed it up. With the new saddle it sounded glorious.

The bridge is the wood piece glued to the soundboard, and the saddle is the bone/plastic portion that the strings cross over. An angle in the bridge slot would have been a problem, but a new saddle is a simple job. I have my uke and guitar saddle sloping downward from bass to treble, so you're probably fine.

Not all bone is the same, and I've had blanks that melted when given a stern glance, and others that were hard as quartz. A good fit along the bottom can make a big difference as well.

Top Bottom