NUD - Ohana CK-80, cedar top...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
see post #22 for strings and tuner update...

Just got an Ohana CK-80, limited edition, solid Port Orford cedar top and solid myrtle side and back woods from Washington. It's gorgeous! The most blingy of anything I have, but that's not why I bought it. I played a cedar top in the uke store a couple weeks ago and it blew me away by the brightness. So, I shopped around and found an excellent buy from Mim! I have been looking for something I could buy from Mim, just because. The pic's are phone pic's I'll try to do better in the next couple days.
full.jpg
back.jpg
side.jpg
head.jpg

I got a nice case for it too...

Attachments

• case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Wow, it's gorgeous! Congratulations! I can't wait to get my next Ohana. What kind of tuners are those? Do you like them?

I think the "bling" is appropriate.....a gorgeous instrument. Maybe Mike from Uke Republic will have one at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Club Getaway in November.

What kind of tuners are those? Do you like them?

they don't say anything on them...they work ok, not exceptional. The gold tuners and pearl buttons do look great on this uke!

The sound compared to my Martin C1K...the Martin is a little mellower and fuller, but I've been playing it for 1 1/2 years! The cedar is brighter, I'll be putting some Living Waters on it in the next couple days. Aquilas just don't make sense to me on solid wood ukes.

I'm a huge fan of cedar. If I could only have one tonewood at this point it would be cedar. It's very complex right off the bat with no break in. I like.

The sound compared to my Martin C1K...the Martin is a little mellower and fuller, but I've been playing it for 1 1/2 years! The cedar is brighter, I'll be putting some Living Waters on it in the next couple days. Aquilas just don't make sense to me on solid wood ukes.

I'm a fan of Living Waters strings as well but also really like Aquila Reds. They have added some warmth to some brighter ukes that I've tried them on. Actually, they've sounded pretty darn good on all the ukes I've tried them on so far (about 5 or 6 now). So might be fun for you to try both.

And very nice looking uke. Enjoy!

It is lovely!!! I would love for Mim to do a sound comparison between yours and the CK-50GS, with cedar top and rosewood back and sides. I have one and love it so very much. It has quite a bold sound and seems to have a rich timbre. And I love the blingy glossy looks of yours, too.

It is lovely!!! I would love for Mim to do a sound comparison between yours and the CK-50GS, with cedar top and rosewood back and sides. I have one and love it so very much. It has quite a bold sound and seems to have a rich timbre. And I love the blingy glossy looks of yours, too.

check Mim's youtube page, she has comparisons of quite a few Ohanas...

some maybe better pic's, my camera won't focus very close, time for a new one...
IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1623.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg

The soundboard is not Western Red Cedar; it's Port Orford Cedar. I may be wrong, but I believe the tone is bright and bold rather than complex.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I like western red cedar, but haven't heard Port Orford in person.

just put on Living Waters, it's now even brighter, bolder and more complex!!! I never thought I would say...maybe too bright! Now I see what Aquilas are for, may have to switch back, not sure I like the Living Waters, at least on this uke. Don't seem that much different than Martins as far as feel goes, maybe they're brighter? Lots of people on here and friends have raved about Living Waters, I don't think they're any different/better than Martins.

just put on Living Waters, it's now even brighter, bolder and more complex!!! I never thought I would say...maybe too bright! Now I see what Aquilas are for, may have to switch back, not sure I like the Living Waters, at least on this uke. Don't seem that much different than Martins as far as feel goes, maybe they're brighter? Lots of people on here and friends have raved about Living Waters, I don't think they're any different/better than Martins.

When you figure out which you like best let me know!
I think the reds might be a good try for it.

I am glad you like it! If you have any issues with the swapping of the strings or anything let me know!

When you figure out which you like best let me know!
I think the reds might be a good try for it.

I am glad you like it! If you have any issues with the swapping of the strings or anything let me know!

thanks, Mim for the great deal and setup! Wish you could do my C1K, the action seems to be getting a little high. Are Reds mellower?

Top Bottom