new James Hill album

niwenomian

Reaction score
Anyone know if James Hill's crowdfunding project called Droptops, Pony Rides and Rocket Ships is tied to his upcoming album, The Old Silo?

I had assumed that the album he would be coming out with would also be called Droptops......but it seems like the crowdfunding thing had one name and the album another.

Also, I read somewhere that he may have an EP available. Does anyone have any more information on that?

I am looking forward to some new JH tunes!

Nick

I received my copy in the mail "The Old Silo".
I believe the EP was a pre release for the crowd funding sponsors.

It is. I don't think he had chosen the name by the time he was doing the crowdfunding. Haven't heard about an EP, but a certain level of financial support got you a copy of the demos.

The Old Silo is fantastic. Got it in the mail yesterday. Totally stands on it's own as a strong musical statement without any 'ukulele pyrotechnics. Best 'ukulele anything of the year as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I just have to wait, sigh.

BTW Brad, thanks for being such a great resource. Your website has been very influential to me as I've learned my way around the ukulele. Your album is in my "to buy" list as well.

Nick

Got my copy of The Old Silo yesterday as well - have only had time to listen to a couple of tracks.

Based on those, I may be buying another two copies for my local public stations.

-Kurt​

I'll be looking for it. I'm a big fan of James songwriting. He plays ok too. :nana:
He drives me nuts!
I think it is trick photography when he plays Billie Jean. I got the thump on the body down pretty good, but have no idea how he does the rest and makes it look so easy, I just hate him;)
What a talent and so fun to watch. Hope to catch him live sometime.

Hands down my favorite uke player but even more he's a complete talent. His song/lyric writing is top notch. And a really nice guy from what I can tell. That's a pretty amazing combo.

I've had my copy for about a week, his talents as a song writer are certainly growing. I particularly like the track " If wishes were horses " . I have to ask though what is an EP ?

A EP I think stands for "extended play" and is shorter than an LP "long play". it is generally 20-25min of music whereas an LP would be 40-50min give-or-take.

It's also available on Spotify. Really good album.

I own all of James' albums, and have been a fan for a long time, but I have to say that I feel Old Silo is his weakest album to date. Listened to it many times now, and I just feel the songwriting isn't there. Too many songs with "hooks," lines repeated over and over again. No real substance to the songs IMO. The music on the album is top notch as always, just feel the songs may have been rushed or not given enough time to fully explore what they could have been.

Sounds like a range of opinions on Old Silo. I am looking forward to getting it this week. I have only heard Man with a Love Song and A Flying Leap, both of which I think are fantastic. Does anyone have any of his earlier works, or collaborations with Anne Jannelle?

Nick

Top Bottom