PDA

View Full Version : NUD: My Petroglyph Moore Bettah uke exceeds all expectations

GinnyT11
08-27-2014, 11:16 AM
I have tears in my eyes as I write about how deeply, deeply grateful and happy I am to have received my Petroglyph Moore Bettah soprano today. I have an emotional disconnect between the player I am and the astonishing quality and artistry of this uke, and I cant quite reconcile it. Maybe wine will help.

Not long ago, my husband Craig received a Moore Bettah tenor (the Ki uke with a Japanese-character inlay), which is about the only uke he plays now. After he got it, because wed been communicating for some time, I casually asked Chuck if hed make me a soprano (which I thought was like saying "Hey, would you hand me down that star?").
He asked what I had in mind. I requested Hawaiian petroglyphs (especially paddle man) because they fascinated me when we visited Hawaii, and a koa-milo combo, to represent Hawaiis mountains and the sea. He thought about it for 20 minutes while doing something else and then said, Ive got a plan for it. After I chose the wood (less-fancy koa, please, and the colorful milo), I left the design in Chucks hands. Its the first time he has made a koa-milo uke and Ill tell you, it sounds fantastic.

Im thrilled at the inlays and how they tell a story of early Hawaiians hunting. I love the koa for the fret markers and the inlays. The curl in the wood give them some life. This uke is exactly what I wanted, a result of Chucks extra-sensory approach to building ukes.

Receiving this uke feels like a cosmic reward that I dont deserve. Yes, Ive saved up for it over time, and yes, Ive practiced to play better, but why did I get the delight of working with Chuck and this uke imbued with his creative energy? I dont know. But I intend to let this uke be sort of a spirit guide for me, to prompt and lead me into greater playing competence.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t462/GT3T11/Petroglyph%20Moore%20Bettah/MBfull_zps03d04b7a.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/GT3T11/media/Petroglyph%20Moore%20Bettah/MBfull_zps03d04b7a.jpg.html)

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t462/GT3T11/Petroglyph%20Moore%20Bettah/headstock_zps0f5dd736.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/GT3T11/media/Petroglyph%20Moore%20Bettah/headstock_zps0f5dd736.jpg.html)

GinnyT11
08-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Moore photos...

Camsuke
08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
What a stunning uke! Congratulations Ginny!

wickedwahine11
08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Yay Ginny! Congratulations, it is gorgeous. Koa makes for a beautiful inlay material and the petroglyphs are so cool. Our ukes are siblings, I saw that beautiful soprano and wondered who the lucky owner would be. I am so happy for you, enjoy it, you deserve it! :)

kvehe
08-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Ohhh, it is so lovely!

caukulele
08-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Oh Ginny, that is fantastic! I saw that wonderful soprano and I wondered who would be the lucky recipient! so glad it was you! You have an incredibly beautiful uke! And what fun for you and Craig to be able to play your two Moore Bettahs together!

DownUpDave
08-27-2014, 11:31 AM
WOW, just WOW, just really WOW. That is so beautiful and it sounds like it has found a home with it's rightful owner.

hawaii 50
08-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Congratulations,my Moore Bettah sista......:)
nice MBU.. your wood combo so nice...good choice

UkeKnowDamnRight
08-27-2014, 11:44 AM
It's so lovely! Enjoy it.

Dan Uke
08-27-2014, 11:46 AM
You deserve it!! Even the strap buttons are made by him. I saw your uke in July and now happy to see the final product.

mds725
08-27-2014, 11:54 AM
That's one wonderful ukulele! I love petroglyphs and those are stunning!

When I was in Hawaii in July, I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck and his very talented wife, and on a separate occasion, the pleasure of playing someone's soprano Moore Bettah (not yours). There's something magical about MBs; I was lucky enough to by a pre-owned non custom one this spring, and I can't play it enough and people are constantly telling me how much they love its voice. I have a friend who wants a MB and plays exclusively sopranos, and she was extremely envious of the soprano MB when Chuckl posted its photo on FB. I'm glad this one has gone to such a loving home. Congratulations again!

mm stan
08-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Congrats Ginny,
I was wondering whose beautiful soprano that was....happy strummings you really deserve one....:)

GinnyT11
08-27-2014, 11:56 AM
You deserve it!! Even the strap buttons are made by him. I saw your uke in July and now happy to see the final product.

Dan, I asked for the strap buttons because I thought I might need them and I wanted him to make and install them. AND, more wonderfulness: I asked Chuck if there were interesting uke straps with Hawaiian designs, and Chuck included one the the package. It's lovely!

guitharsis
08-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Congrats, Ginny. It's a beauty!

wickedwahine11
08-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Dan, I asked for the strap buttons because I thought I might need them and I wanted him to make and install them. AND, more wonderfulness: I asked Chuck if there were interesting uke straps with Hawaiian designs, and Chuck included one the the package. It's lovely!

Ooh, I would love to see a photo of your strap if you don't mind. I bet it looks cool with that uke. :)

Teek
08-27-2014, 12:18 PM
It couldn't be any more perfect! and of course you "deserve" it, drop the deserving bit out of the equation and just celebrate!

GinnyT11
08-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all this encouragement, uke friends!

Staci, here's the strap from Hilo.

wickedwahine11
08-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Cool, it is nice. :)

dkcrown
08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Congratulations Ginny. What a wonderful uke!

Wow. Two MB NUD in the forum on the same day! Happy, happy, happy!

Nickie
08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Holy cow Ginny, just WOW....it is sooooo purty! And the strap is a lot like the one I got for my Ohana....very nice. Uke on kiddo, and congrats!
You've just encouraged me to save up my pennies!

Dan Uke
08-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Congratulations Ginny. What a wonderful uke!

Wow. Two MB NUD in the forum on the same day! Happy, happy, happy!

Let's hope another UU member got one from this batch!! That would be epic!!

Ukulele Eddie
08-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Very nice! What I love about Chuck's work is how personal it is for each owner. And how he can make something simple/elegant to very ornate yet each somehow just looks right.

aquadan
08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I love the design you got, congratulations! It's a gorgeous piece of work.

mds725
08-27-2014, 01:05 PM

That's a nice strap! Not to derail the thread, but if anyone wants a strap like the one Ginny got with her Moore Bettah, they're available here (https://www.etsy.com/shop/SherrinsThreads?section_id=12546796) and at various retail stores. It was really nice of Chuck to include one with this ukulele.

Shady Wilbury
08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Wow. That is an incredible instrument. I finally understand the allure of the Moore Bettah ukulele. Congratulations, Ginny...long may the bond endure.

sukie
08-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the family! It's just lovely. Leaving things to Chuck is the perfect way to get EXACTLY what you wanted and didn't even know it. He is a master. Enjoy!

Doc_J
08-27-2014, 02:49 PM
What a great combination! An awesome uke has found it's way to awesome person. A perfect match.
Congratulations!

Can't wait to hear your first Season with it!

VegasGeorge
08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
That really is special. Very nice!

tangimango
08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
wow two post of new MBU's, Love that milo koa combination. hope to hear a sound sample one day. :)

GinnyT11
08-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Its not about deserving....
A good way to enjoy a fine instrument and make the maker happy is to play it every day, and take it out with you to the ukulele group, and to share the experience with your friends. Wear it out and take it back in a few years to get new frets or a fix up or a touch up to the finish.

You're right, Bill, you do not have to be a superb player to have an excellent ukulele. There's no expectation of deserving it there. But there's something quite special about being accepted onto Chuck's build list because you're also being accepted into his realm of beauty, heart and craftsmanship. He turns away many more requests than he accepts. Being accepted has a lot to do with who you are and if your idea interests him. I guess I'm still marveling that he said yes to me. Like that song in Sound of Music says, "Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good."

hawaii 50
08-27-2014, 04:31 PM
You're right, Bill, you do not have to be a superb player to have an excellent ukulele. There's no expectation of deserving it there. But there's something quite special about being accepted onto Chuck's build list because you're also being accepted into his realm of beauty, heart and craftsmanship. He turns away many more requests than he accepts. Being accepted has a lot to do with who you are and if your idea interests him. I guess I'm still marveling that he said yes to me. Like that song in Sound of Music says, "Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something right."

You and Staci are one of the lucky few....to get a custom MBU from Chuck nowadays...getting harder to do as Chuck building more for himself lately(design wise)...

but after reading both your post on how lucky you feel, I can can see why Chuck decided to build for both of you....there is some kind of connection(Aloha maybe) between most of his customers and him...IMO...:)

you will become a better player as I am sure you will practice even more than before....congrats....:)

Pueo
08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
So happy for you Ginny! You got a great ukulele there!

WCBarnes
08-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Amazing!! An absolute work of art! Congratulations!

vanflynn
08-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Congrats on a rare MB soprano Ginny! Simple yet elegant.

The wand chooses the wizard, Mr Potter.

Enjoy

erivel
08-27-2014, 05:40 PM
That's amazing! Congrats Ginny! I would love to post a MB NUD of my own someday! :)

UkerDanno
08-27-2014, 05:43 PM
that's really nice, Congrat's!

Newportlocal
08-27-2014, 05:50 PM
So..........lovely. Congratulations! Love the petroglyphs. What a stunner.

Edgeguy
08-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Beautiful uke! Bettah has truly been blessed by God in his talent to build uke's.

RAB11
08-27-2014, 11:53 PM
That's stunning Ginny! You're definitely a worthy recipient too. Looking forward to hearing it in the Seasons!

Cornfield
08-28-2014, 01:52 AM
Lovely ukulele

Ukejenny
08-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Incredible ukulele!!!! I would have tears in my eyes, too!

geetee
08-28-2014, 03:20 AM
They say an instrument can't make you a better player. This one will prove that is not true.
Congratulations.

actadh
08-28-2014, 04:15 AM
This is truly beautiful. So happy that you have this in your life to play every day.

coolcow
08-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Congrats Ginny....this uke is stunning....I bet this milo/koa uke sounds awesome!!!!!
Happy for you!!

Tim Mullins
08-28-2014, 06:17 AM
That's stunning! Congrats!

Daktari
08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Awesome!

Happy new uke to you!

Dan Uke
08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
You guys should also post to the Moore Bettah thread so we can see them all together and will also be reminded when the next lucky owner gets one.

GinnyT11
08-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Thank you, Jon. I like that you used the word understated because that's the descriptor I used when I laid out my request for Chuck. Then I asked for petroglyphs that could tell a story, and as Sukie said, it's best just to give Chuck an idea and stand back because you get a fantastic result that way.
(Thanks also to Jenny, John, Tim, Laura, Damon, Eric, Daniel, Ryan and others for their comments.)

I played the MB so much the first day—I went through all my song sheets—that the strings were stretched out by nightfall. When I'm not playing it, I think about where it is in the house. I've never had a uke that I loved so much, so quickly. That's why I'm selling two, and perhaps three of my ukes...I just want a sweet, single-minded romance with the paddle man.

Gillian
08-31-2014, 06:40 AM
Of all the MB's I've seen posted, I think I like this one the best.

Understated elegance.

Lovely.