YESTERDAY - From the new Chord/Melody eBook arranged by Ukulele Mike Lynch

I'm interested in Mike's book from last year called 2013 enlarged Solo Ukulele. Anyone have a sample of the tab page from one of the songs. I don't want to buy it without seeing some of it first.

Same thing from the new book. The samples on the site are too small to see.

Thanks.

Rappsy, one thing I found when I purchased an e-book from him is that the TAB was much more simple than what was played in the promotional video.

Rappsy, one thing I found when I purchased an e-book from him is that the TAB was much more simple than what was played in the promotional video.

Are you saying that the tab did not have all the notes and chords that he was playing in the videos? Is there enough music in the tab to make a nice melody/chord combination or is it very basic? The small sample sheet that is the website looks like there is plenty to work with, but that is why I am soliciting responses. Thanks for answering.

Yes, the TAB I bought did not have all of the notes that were played in the demo. I have no knowledge of the current offering.

I have the chord melody version and it has all the notes shown in the video. I wouldn't consider it "easy" but it'll sound good with lots of work on my part.

Go to VIMEO and look for SMILE and see if you like it. Then get his comp tab.

SMILE - Chord/Melody arrangement for ukulele by Ukulele Mike Lynch
Complimentary tablature available at my blog site: allthingsukulele.com

It would be helpful if you mentioned which tab. I will say, however, that the published version of ANY pieces of music will always
be different from any given performance, live or in studio. This goes for every performer and arranger anywhere. I've NEVER heard Jake Shimabukuro play any of his pieces note for note the same everytime he plays. Nobody does that. . So you can never expect a printed, published version to be identical with a recorded performance. It's not fair to expect a performer to perform their music the exact same way it appears in print. Furthermore, it's always been my goal to make my published arrangements accessible to the most people. If I lean the arrangement out in the printed form, then so be it. That's my prerogative as an arranger.

Why is everyone so caught up with the published version being note for note identical with a recorded version? I know of NO artist who does that. Nobody. . .

Hi from Ukulele Mike here. . .
If you go this link you will see the complete details of my new Chord/Melody eBook

https://ukulelemikelynch.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/chord-melody-collage-slide.jpg

Towards the bottom of the article there is a collage image of many of the pieces in the book.
I posted that to show people the nature of the notation.
If it's too small to read, just merely click on it and it gets REALLY big. . Trust me. . .

A word about published arrangement as compared to recorded performances live or in studio:
Literally no where in the publishing, performing world will we ever see an exact note for note
rendering in the published form of a performance. EVERY performer takes liberties with their
pieces and will change them over and over again. For instance, I bet you've never heard Jake Shimabukuro
play While My Guitar Gently Weeps EXACTLY as it appeared on his very first You Tube video. . . Or any other
of his performance, for that matter. It's just not the real world of music.

Now. . . my intention in published these arrangements has always been to make them as accessible to the most
people as possible. If that means I make a decision to lean the arrangement a bit and I feel it doesn't compromise
the piece, then I will do that. . . and I have done that. I can assure you, however that the majority of my
pieces in this new Chord/Melody book are pretty much as any videos I've done of them.

I'm trying to make it good for everyone . . . I hope I am.

Thanks and Happy Strumming to all in the global ukulele community, Mike Lynch

""one thing I found when I purchased an e-book from him is that the TAB was much more simple than what was played in the promotional video"

Very sorry Mike. What I meant by my comment was based on the comment above. I thought he was saying that it was a much simpler version of the one you are playing and that I couldn't expect it to be near as complete. It was my mistake on misreading the comment. I understand that no two performances will ever be the same. I wouldn't want them to be...

No no not to feel sorry. I just wanted to clarify a bit what it is I'm trying to do with my published resources. They will, by intent, sometimes be somewhat different than what might be seen in performance or on you tube. In fact, I've posted numerous videos of people doing their "Versions" of some of my arrangements and compositions and I welcome that. In the case of my new Chord/Melody book I've actually taken some pieces that were a bit more complex being fingerpicking arrangements and I have made them more accessible as Chord/Melody arrangements. Hey, music is supposed to be fun so we continue to make music and make people smile God knows this world could use more smiles . . Happy strumming, Mike Lynch

Mike, I wanted to say thanks for all your videos, they are really well done, super clear. They were especially helpful just starting out and having no clue on strumming. I look forward to trying your chord/melody book, now that I'm ready to do a little picking. I've been struggling to find pieces that sound nice but are not so challenging that they put me off trying. Thanks again...off to check it out now!
Can the ebook be downloaded directly to an iPad?

Last edited:
Mike, I wanted to say thanks for all your videos, they are really well done, super clear. They were especially helpful just starting out and having no clue on strumming. I look forward to trying your chord/melody book, now that I'm ready to do a little picking. I've been struggling to find pieces that sound nice but are not so challenging that they put me off trying. Thanks again...off to check it out now!
Can the ebook be downloaded directly to an iPad?
i have the dropbox app, and yes i can download it direct to my ipad

Why is everyone so caught up with the published version being note for note identical with a recorded version?
While I understand that artists don't always play a song exactly as written, the fact is that you use your videos as a tool to sell your arrangements.

When you post a video and say "you can buy this arrangement", then yes, I expect your playing in the video to match the printed arrangement you are trying to get me to buy. Otherwise, it's not really truth in advertising.

BTW, exactly how do you manage to get permission to sell your arrangements of copyrighted songs? janeray had a thread about it and said she had contacted you but apparently never received a response.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99969-copyright-and-selling-arrangements

While I understand that artists don't always play a song exactly as written, the fact is that you use your videos as a tool to sell your arrangements.

When you post a video and say "you can buy this arrangement", then yes, I expect your playing in the video to match the printed arrangement you are trying to get me to buy. Otherwise, it's not really truth in advertising.

BTW, exactly how do you manage to get permission to sell your arrangements of copyrighted songs? janeray had a thread about it and said she had contacted you but apparently never received a response.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99969-copyright-and-selling-arrangements

Hey, that's me! I did email Ukulele Mike, via his website, but never got a response. I'm really curious how one goes about getting copyright from, say, Sony ATV, to publish a Beatles arrangement. Mike, since you seem to do this a lot, I'm hoping you could tell me how. Thanks.

That was my point exactly. I don't expect TAB to be perfect but when you say buy this arrangement, that's what I expected!

And good luck if you need to get in touch with him. Almost impossible.

I doubt that he has permission from the publishers either. Permission to use Lennon/McCartney songs is time consuming and costly.

Top Bottom