Another strap thread: Is a strap button on the neck heel necessary?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I currently use a strap on my tenor and baritone ukuleles. I secure straps to the ukuleles with a strap button on the lower bout and a string that ties the other end of the strap to the headstock. Recently a guitar player warned me not to hold an ukulele by attaching the strap to the headstock because over time that configuration would warp the ukulele's neck. I can understand this concern with guitars, which are heavy, but is it a potential problem with ukuleles too? I wouldn't mind having strap buttons installed on the heel of the necks of my ukuleles if it'll prevent the neck from warping, but I was wondering if it was okay to hold and play an ukulele with a strap attached to the headstock. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've asked around about that (luthiers, other players) and been told that with a uke it's much less of a problem than with guitars. While I don't have a problem with installing a strap button on the heel of the neck, I haven't done so because I've tried a couple of ukes that were configured that way and they just felt... weird to me. Not as stable for me, and with an annoying tendency to flop downward (but I guess this depends on where on the heel the button is installed).

I wrap mine around the headstock too....I can't remember who gave me that idea. But I imagine with a concert uke, there's little danger of warpage...unless I make a habit of leaning on it all the time.

I went with the strap button on the heel of my Opio for the potential stability. I have found the the soprano size is harder to use/hold than the concert size. I can rest the concert on my left leg and it is very comfortable, but the soprano on the left leg is not as comfortable to play. I just can't seem to find a sweet spot for holding it. I am still playing with different straps, but it only took a day for the button to not be noticeable to me - it was really weird and in the way the first day.

I had great box seats at Stuart's Opera House in Ohio earlier this year, and was sitting just to the side of Wayne Benson while he was on stage. He is the mandolin player for Russell Moore and IIIrd Tyme Out. He was using a button on the heel, and man, he can play. I figured if it was good enough for him, I would do the same on my next ukulele.

I don't think you have to have the button. But it is a lot better for me. Three of my ukes involved having me tie to the headstock, and it was fine. But now I have a uke with a strap button and I really like it. It felt stable to me, and knowing it wasn't doing harm was a side benefit.

I don't think you have to have the button. But it is a lot better for me. Three of my ukes involved having me tie to the headstock, and it was fine. But now I have a uke with a strap button and I really like it. It felt stable to me, and knowing it wasn't doing harm was a side benefit.
I saw your pics with the strap button - Nice! It looks great with the button, but it is a beautiful ukulele, too.

When you are, uh, "wearing" the uke, does it flop forward if you let go of the neck? Not sure if my question even makes sense but the couple of ukes I tried with the two-button setup both felt like they wanted to flop string-side-down unless I really supported the neck with my left hand.

When you are, uh, "wearing" the uke, does it flop forward if you let go of the neck? Not sure if my question even makes sense but the couple of ukes I tried with the two-button setup both felt like they wanted to flop string-side-down unless I really supported the neck with my left hand.

Nope, it didn't. But I am not sure if he put the button in a "strategic" spot on the underside of the neck so it wouldn't.

image.jpg

Nope, it didn't. But I am not sure if he put the button in a "strategic" spot on the underside of the neck so it wouldn't.

View attachment 70326

Thanks - I can't recall the placement on the ones I tried but I'm keeping this photo for future reference in case I decide to go for it on my Ohta-San.

(And... because that rosette is just so pretty!)

Maybe it's unlikely with something as light as a uke but why risk it if you have an expensive instrument you love. A tenor uke just doesn't look right to me without the strap buttons. And I don't even sit without a strap.

I have strap-buttons on all my instruments. The only one that has a second button on the heel of the neck is my 6-string jumbo guitar, and that's because "it's always been there". I even removed the "neck button" from my 1/2-size Yamaha guitar because it "got in the way" when I was up around the 12th fret. Even my 12-string jumbo has it's strap tied off at the machine heads since I got used to that configuration with my mandolin and ukuleles ... it just feels "right", somehow, and hasn't caused a problem yet :)

I even removed the "neck button" from my 1/2-size Yamaha guitar because it "got in the way" when I was up around the 12th fret.

Thanks for mentioning that - I play up there a lot and hadn't even considered that it might be an issue.

View attachment 70326

This is how I have the button on my bari - no problems with it flopping or falling at all, it's very convenient. For all of my ukes without a neck button, I simply leave a small (3-4" diameter) loop of string on the end of the strap, which I wrap around the head (under the strings) and finally loop onto the 4th string tuning peg. Quicker than tying/untying a knot, but sturdy enough to avoid any flopping or falling.

For all of my ukes without a neck button, I simply leave a small (3-4" diameter) loop of string on the end of the strap, which I wrap around the head (under the strings) and finally loop onto the 4th string tuning peg. Quicker than tying/untying a knot, but sturdy enough to avoid any flopping or falling.
Nice idea ... and there was me custom-making "straps" (lengths of fancy cord) for each instrument :rolleyes:

I have a strap button on the heel on mine. I found the strap tied to the headstock got in my way. Because of my headstock inlay, I could only tie it near the fretboard though. I only wish I knew these things when I had Chuck make my ukulele. It woulda been a much classier button.

Last edited:
Top Bottom