Koa ukes

aseltzer

Reaction score
My first uke is a Lanikai solid monkeypod tenor, which I like, but I am now looking for a second tenor uke, preferably koa. I was seriously considering the Martin T1K until I recently learned of the Oscar Schmidt OU270TSK. I know the OU270TSk only has a solid koa top while the Martin is all koa but otherwise the OU270TSK seems to offer a lot of value and a nicer appointment level to the Martin's very generic look. Is the OU270TSK at all comparable to the Martin or is the Martin more refined and worth the slightly higher price?

First off welcome to UU, you found the right place. I have not played the OS but I have played the Martin and it has a very nice sound. It is hard to give any recommendations without bring personal preferances into the equation. If the nicer appointment level is an important element to you then make your choices with that in mind. Martin being Martin will hold it's value much better and it is an all solid wood instrument so theoreticaly it should sound better out of the box and over time become even sweeter sounding

I have an Oscar Schmidt, they make good ukes, But if you ever want to sell it you are screwed. AN OS resale is a lot less than a Martin or just about any other uke.
The other thing is that the martin is built way lighter. It has less bracing and the neck does not feel like a baseball bat.
If you are asking... Go with the Martin.

Except in cosmetics, OS not in the same ballpark as Martin...........except for the guarantee.

Right on, fellow SMP owner! Like you, I'm upgrading to a koa instrument too :)

Anyway, your best bet would be to go to a music store and hope that they have one of the models you listed or at least another model which will interest you. If not, I'm sure many of the UU members here will help you out with your choice.

The other thing is that the martin is built way lighter. It has less bracing and the neck does not feel like a baseball bat.
When I tried an OS in my local music store there was something not quite right and couldn't put my finger on it... It was the weight. It is not heavy, but the extra weight does make for a different feel than what I generally play.

I too would go for the Martin.

I fifth going for the Martin for all the great reasons (maintained resale value, solid wood everything, thin neck, light build, etc.) that others have suggested.

I am thinking that, if you want a koa ukulele, you should go all out and get solid koa top, back, and sides. I have a solid koa ukulele on my list of two that I want to buy before I'm done.

Top Bottom