First Uke Recommendation

redhouse

Reaction score
Hello all,

Getting psyched up to buy my first uke but have no knowledge of the instrument. I did go to a Guitar Center to check some out but really was not impressed with what they had on sale. I did figure out that I felt the tenor size was the most comfortable for me. I want to get one that will last me sometime and was thinking of a budget around $250. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Kala are pretty good. I suggest you take someone with you who plays uke, make sure the uke is set up with the action not too high or you could find it difficult to play and so discouraging. I have a Kala concert and soprano and no problems with either.

Get a flea or a fluke, consistent high quality and resale value. Great for a first uke.

IMHO Ohana and Kala makes some nice ukes it this price range. You might consider contacting one of the my favorite 3 uke sellers and discuss what you are looking for
http://mimsukes.com/
http://www.ukerepublic.com/
http://www.theukulelesite.com/

They usually are quite helpful

Happy hunting and keep us posted

Sums it up for me. And try not to buy one too quickly - as in, play a few and let your ear have a chance to hear the different instruments and woods. That way, you can figure out what kind of sound really cranks your tractor.

My 2 bits worth. Buy a good cheap uke to start with. Learn how to play a few chords and a song or two, then go to the shop with enough knowledge to play a few ukes and pick the one that suits you. You'll have no trouble reselling the first uke if you don't want to keep it and you will ultimately have the joy of picking your first good uke yourself. $250 is $250 you can get quality ukes for that amount of money.

Anyone have any good recommendations?
I'll second the recommendation for a Kala, my concert-sized instrument really is very good :)

The tenor-sized instrument you tried may "feel right", but does it "sound right"? Not necessarily a recommendation, but a point for consideration. A tenor-sized instrument will have a good "full" sound, by virtue of it's size, but if you're really after the chirpy sound of the soprano, you may find the tenor just a little too "rounded" for your taste. A concert-sized instrument can be a good compromise.

Don't spend the extra for an instrument with a pickup etc. unless you're really sure this is a feature you'll use. The "electrics" can be a sizeable proportion of the price, especially on a less-expensive instrument.

Whatever you decide ... enjoy it :)

Ohana has somevreally nice models in your price range.If want some nice extra inlaid details they have some nice ukuleles for alot less than the next closest company. Check out the SK-28

They are real quality ukuleles! They are a preffessional instrument maker that outscources their workforce to china. Not a budget chinese brand!

I don't think you could go wrong with an Ohana. I like mine better than my more expensive Kala.

I bought a really cheap uke as my first purchase, and I almost gave up - it took me a while to realise it wasn't just me that was responsible for the out of tune notes I was playing. If I was starting out again I'd buy something a bit better. My second ukulele was a Kala, and that's what I'd buy if I was starting out now - if I had your budget I'd go for something with a solid top. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice so far! After doing some research, I have settled on getting a concert size uke from mainland. They all look quite lovely to me, but I know there are tonal differences between the woods. I have listened to the mahogany, red cedar, and mango online, and they all sound great to me. Anyone have a pro or con for the different woods? Right now, I am leaning towards the mahogany simply because it's the least expensive.

Top Bottom