NUD: Moore Bettah Tenor elegant & awesome

Doc_J

Reaction score
Sorry for the late post. Just collected my new elegant & awesome Moore Bettah Tenor from the post office this morning. I would have had it yesterday, but that job of mine got in the way. :)

It's the perfect combination of 5A master grad koa, ebony, and elegant abalone. Chuck outdid himself on this one.
While it is new and hasn't opened up it sounds better than anything I play or have played. I'll wait a while for it open up a bit before posting any samples. The glassy smooth finish is perfection, as is the case with all Moore Bettah ukuleles. This uke has it all, gorgeous looks, great tone, playability and feel. I can't imagine a better uke for me.

And truly, Chuck is the salt of the earth. Can't say enough about his talent, humbleness, and kindness.

Here are the build details.

Body materials: 5A master grade Koa
Binding:Ebony
Purfling: Paua abalone with B/W/B top & sides
Neck Spanish cedar (carbon fiber reinforced)
Head stock design: Slotted
Head stock overlay: Ebony with "M-Wave" logo Inlay
Side sound port: Upper bout
Fret board: Ebony, bound
Fret Board Markers: Pau abalone
Bridge: Ebony
Rosette: Paua abalone
Nut & saddle: Bone
Tuners: Grover Sta-Tite
Strings: South Coast HML-RW with Fremont Soloist Low G
Finish: Glossy nitrocellulose lacquer

And here's the first pics. Had a helper to unpack it. Got a few pics before my camera battery died.

P1060714s_zps8a72e209.jpg

P1060724_zps3a1a39a3.jpg

P1060718_zps69650425.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the curl on that! Beauty!

That's some really nice koa and I love abalone purfling. What's especially nice is the bwb accent in the carving of the headstock and I see he put some Southcoast strings. I'm sure it's going to sound even more amazing when it opens up.

I wonder how many people own a soprano and tenor from him...when are you going to get a concert? hahaha

Congradz...it's beautiful!!!
a couple UU members received a MB from this batch wow...it's like a happy family reunion

That's some really nice koa and I love abalone purfling. What's especially nice is the bwb accent in the carving of the headstock and I see he put some Southcoast strings. I'm sure it's going to sound even more amazing when it opens up.

I wonder how many people own a soprano and tenor from him...when are you going to get a concert? hahaha

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yes, the SC HML-RW strings are perfect on it. First time I have tried these strings. I have it tuned low right now (B-flat) and will work up to C tuning. But in B-flat it sounds so rich, resonant, clear, loud, even ...and it is still just opening up!

I think Stan has dibbs on a Moore Bettah concert. :)

Baby got some curl!! Enjoy!

This last batch should cater to all spectrums of uke players...there are those that want bling and there are those that like simple elegance and I believe Chuck pleased both sides. Chuck will even do satin finishes but I don't see why anyone would want one as he does the best mirror glossy finish in industry. I bet his glossy finish is thinner than some satin finish out there. Great job Chuck!

Hodge, your MB tenor is fantastic! You will come to love it more and more as you play it. If we tune them the same way, we can play our MBs together one day.

Your very-close-up photo show nice details; I like the very thin abalone around the headstock. And don't you love the finish?

Oh, MY! What a beauty. Simply, gorgeous.

Congrats Hodge...

wow had no idea that was your MBU nice.....:)
I think nothing comes close to a Moore Bettah tone wise....and Chuck's builds are so nice and the best finish in the business....I think that is why Chuck so willing to share his finish technique...no one can do what he does....

but the tone/sound of his MB's are hard to describe...like you say Rich,Deep,Resonant...clear etc..is what makes a MB different from all other ukes....and it will still sound better over time....wow!

congrats again...hope to see it and you one day here....:)

Welcome to the family! It's a beauty. Amazing how Chuck turns a tree into an ukulele. :)

It is lovely, congratulations. Don't they play like a dream? :)

Absolutely! The feel, playability and sound are as wonderful visual beauty.
I swear I play better on this tenor than any other. (Not that I play well. :) )

Hodge, your MB tenor is fantastic! You will come to love it more and more as you play it. If we tune them the same way, we can play our MBs together one day.

Your very-close-up photo show nice details; I like the very thin abalone around the headstock. And don't you love the finish?

I am slowly cranking up the tuning, now up to B, standard C will be coming soon. I really enjoy hearing how a uke sounds in different tunings.

Chuck's finish quality and beauty are truly unreal, like no other builder. More pics are coming soon, as the camera battert is almost recharged.

Congrats Hodge...

wow had no idea that was your MBU nice.....:)
I think nothing comes close to a Moore Bettah tone wise....and Chuck's builds are so nice and the best finish in the business....I think that is why Chuck so willing to share his finish technique...no one can do what he does....

but the tone/sound of his MB's are hard to describe...like you say Rich,Deep,Resonant...clear etc..is what makes a MB different from all other ukes....and it will still sound better over time....wow!

congrats again...hope to see it and you one day here....:)

Same here brother. Hope to meet you one day, too Len.

Welcome to the family! It's a beauty. Amazing how Chuck turns a tree into an ukulele. :)

Thanks. Yep. The process of going from tree to uke is seems like a long and complicated path. Most of my wood skills end at making firewood and mulch.

I still think your Flamingo rosette is the coolest!

Last edited:
Top Bottom