Getting ready to order my first uke!!!

Jessmn

Reaction score
I promised myself if I could learn on my borrowed grandson's ukulele the beginner's song that Chili Monster taught, I could go ahead and order my own uke. I succeeded and am getting ready to order.

I've decided on getting the Kala KA-KCG Koa Concert Slothead Gloss
from Hawaii Music Supply. I'm very excited and have some real dumb newbie questions.

First, am I reading the site correctly and the ukulele will arrive already set up and ready to play right out of the box? Also, I'm not sure what set up is, exactly, I thought it might be individualized. If that's the case, then how could a company from across the country set it up for me?

I am going to add: "Aquila Concert all plain". Will this be the best Aquila strings I could get, and will they be already put on the ukulele?

I don't want to get a case yet, I'm thinking of maybe seeing if I can find a used one.

This is so exciting!!!

I already have UAS, and know what my second uke will be: an Oscar Schmidt OU5. I like it's looks! I just wish that HMS sold OS tool
Denise

Last edited:
Hi Jessmn - congratulations on your decision. It sounds like a great ukulele.

I just received a ukulele from HMS this week, and it was in tune right out of the box. It didn't even need tweaking.

I received one from them in January that needed to be tuned - it sounded like the strings were deliberately de-tuned for shipping. This may have been a cold weather practical choice.

The set up is described on their web page and linked here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elfo9xHPhZE They do an awesome set up - both my ukeleles are a dream to play.

I can't comment on the strings as I got whatever they came with. My first one (Luna Dragonfly) had Aquilas and my second one (KoAloha Opio) had ones from the manufacturer. I liked both, but I am getting ready to change the Aquilas that are 8 months old to Living Waters strings just to try them out.

My first one came with a gig bag, and I bought a hard case from Musicians Friend. Nice, but mostly just ok.
The one I just got, I did the upgrade to the oahu case on the HMS site. Very nice! I feel like a better musician just carrying it around :)

Hi Denise,

Congratulations! I haven't played this uke, but anything ordered from HMS will play well, stay in tune, and feel good in your hands. That's setup in a nutshell. Many things can be involved, but it makes the uke more playable, consistent, and what you might call friendly or approachable. If you had a uke without a setup and one that got it, you would certainly feel the difference, even just beginning to play.

The uke may or may not arrive in tune. That's a product of weather, handling, the uke, etc. Tuning is something you'll need to do in any event, so if you don't have a tuner or similar, one would be really helpful.

If you want the strings you order separately to already be installed, leave a note in the comments box and ask. Otherwise, they could just be sent as a pack and have something else installed. Aquilas come standard on so many ukes, though, that unless the HMS page for that uke says differently, they probably already come with those.

I'd strongly recommend at least ordering a gig bag. I haven't always ordered cases with ukes, but have always regretted that. It's a good investment and cuts down the worry factor with a uke you enjoy. Leaving any instrument in the open all the time is rarely a good idea.

I hope this helps!

Even a brand new gig bag is not expensive and is a pretty good investment for your new uke. Good luck getting a used hard case. I've been looking for a used hard case deal for a long time. The few used ones that I've run across are not a deal, in fact you can by a new one for what most are asking for used ones. I think that a uke stand is as important as a bag or case. When you aren't playing, it is nice to put it on a stand somewhere out of the way. It keeps the uke from getting kicked around, stepped on, or sat on. They aren't very expensive either.

The site says I can order the Aquila strings, so they don't come with. Thank you VERY much for suggesting I enter in the comments box that I would like them to install for me, I would have never thought to do that.

I'm mainly worried that a new hard case might have off-gassing and I am sensitive to fumes so that is my hesitation on getting the case new with the ukulele instead of trying to find a used one.

I emailed HMS, and hope they reply as I had a few more questions for them before I actually order.

Even a brand new gig bag is not expensive and is a pretty good investment for your new uke. Good luck getting a used hard case. I've been looking for a used hard case deal for a long time. The few used ones that I've run across are not a deal, in fact you can by a new one for what most are asking for used ones. I think that a uke stand is as important as a bag or case. When you aren't playing, it is nice to put it on a stand somewhere out of the way. It keeps the uke from getting kicked around, stepped on, or sat on. They aren't very expensive either.
I guess I'll just order a new hard case from HMS then. I am thinking about ordering a String Swing CC01UK - Ukulele / Mandolin Hardwood Wall Hanger from Amazon so I can hang it on a wall because we have a small apartment (the case will be for transporting only). This ukulele is a laminate so I shouldn't have to worry about humidity, from what I've read.

The site says I can order the Aquila strings, so they don't come with. Thank you VERY much for suggesting I enter in the comments box that I would like them to install for me, I would have never thought to do that.

I'm mainly worried that a new hard case might have off-gassing and I am sensitive to fumes so that is my hesitation on getting the case new with the ukulele instead of trying to find a used one.

I emailed HMS, and hope they reply as I had a few more questions for them before I actually order.

you can call the store after 11am(Hawaiian time) and they can help you with any questions you have 808 622-8000..or if you look on the Ukulele Site website there are other numbers that you can call now...as I think they open at 8am at the warehouse...

you can call the store after 11am(Hawaiian time) and they can help you with any questions you have 808 622-8000..or if you look on the Ukulele Site website there are other numbers that you can call now...as I think they open at 8am at the warehouse...
HMS emailed me back within just a couple of hours!! I am surprised and happy at how efficient they are.

Congratulations on your new purchase! It sounds like you made a nice choice in your first instrument. Enjoy it!!!

Aloha Denise.. No forget to order a clip on chromatic tuner.....as you need to tune your uke and it will make things easier to learn and keep in tune
Ask them for one...

It was on my list! I've ordered a Snark SN-8 from Amazon because the price was terrific (and they were out of stock of the SN-6).
Thanks!
Denise
(Wait. I don't know what you mean by "chromatic"..did I order the correct kind? I was just going by the reviews there.)

Good for you Denise. BTW I have a Snark...it is great for your needs. Very easy to use and clips right on your ukulele's heat near the tuners.
I can tell you are excited, I just ordered my second uke and it is scheduled to arrive here this Monday. This is a great site as I am sure you have figured out and don't forget to check out the videos here and on YouTube. Lot's of free lessons to get you headed in the right direction.
Enjoy!

Let us know how things are going with your new baby once you get a chance to try it out!!!

Top Bottom