kanilea ukulele finish well leather strap hurt if left on

Not sure of finish, but I put my Risa semi-acoustic tenor away with an apparently damp strap, didn't leave my usual "air gap" when I zipped up the case, and it rusted the metal strings and some of the hardware. Didn't think the strap was damp either.

My luthier told me that it's generally not problematic to leave a leather strap on a uke if you actually pick the uke up and play it every day - but if you're going to store the uke for any length of time unplayed, then take the strap off.

Not sure how different the finish is, but I've kept leather straps on a couple of Kamakas for years at a time with no problem - but these get played every. single. day :)

Joe shoots a UV cured polyester on them, and that stuff is pretty impervious to anything in a leather or plastic strap. Don't worry about it.

Joe shoots a UV cured polyester on them, and that stuff is pretty impervious to anything in a leather or plastic strap. Don't worry about it.

For any uke with a lacquered finish, be very careful with vinyl straps. The solvents used in making the vinyl are the same solvents that went into the lacquer. IF left in contact with the finish, the vinyl in the strap will bond with the instrument finish and stick to it. That can seriously mar the finish.

Top Bottom